token chain catcher - campy

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited January 2013 in Workshop
i have an intermittent problem with dropped chain, so have purchased a token chain catcher, but looking at all the fit pics for these none i can find show it on a campy veloce, all others seem to be forward facing ie between deraillier and front wheel whereas the campy one is at back, just wondered if anyone has fitted one to a campy derailiier? any advice would be appreciated
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• bianchimoon
    scrub that, seems it wont work with clamp on deraillier - bu99er!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    scrub that, seems it wont work with clamp on deraillier - bu99er!

Correct! You might find a Deda Dog Fang works. Failing that you can get ones Token style with their own clamp but I don't think they are cheap.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll find knock-off versions of the K-Edge on ebay from China. If the K-Edge were priced reasonably for what is a piece of anodised aluminium, then I'd recommend them, but £40 is ridiculous.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bianchimoon
    seems the dog fang doesn't like non round tubes
    and there's no substitute for a well adjusted deraillier!
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    A chain catcher shouldn't be used as a substitute for poorly set up gears and should only really be used as an insurance policy to protect your frame from unforeseen circumstances. Have you identified why your chain is getting dropped?

There are a few things which fit with band on mechs like the Deda. But they aren't very attractive, your other option would be to change to a braze on mount with a band on adapter but its very pricey way around the problem.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    seems the dog fang doesn't like non round tubes
    and there's no substitute for a well adjusted deraillier!

Even a well adjusted deraillier can get dropped.

You could change to a braze on with clamp.
  • rolf_f
    There's always the big cable tie method. That looks fairly discrete and is as cheap as chips!

Edit - actually a hell of a lot cheaper than chips. Maybe cheap as a chip. :lol:
  • I've tried to imagine this big ty-wrap solution but it escapes me . Do you use the large buckle or leave a tail on the wrap to act as your deterrant , more info. please.
  • rolf_f
    I've tried to imagine this big ty-wrap solution but it escapes me . Do you use the large buckle or leave a tail on the wrap to act as your deterrant , more info. please.

The tail fends off the chain. Someone posted a pic of it on here at least once but can't find it. It doesn't work on all frames but it doesn't cost much to try. I think you need a fairly straight seat tube but not as much as the Dog Fang requires.
    Edit - found one on the net. Google cable tie chain catcher.

241344d1316646685-help-looking-chain-catcher-fit-slc-01-chain-zip-3.jpg