Salty Roads...

Hf21
Hf21 Posts: 22
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I am just wondering what the salty roads in winter will do to my bike. Will it cause much damage to my drive train? any info would be greatly appreciated also advixe on what to do to stop it corroding my components. Lastly what is the bdst oil to use on my bikes chain and derailures? thanks

Comments

• Salt will damage exposed metal parts if it is wet, dry and it shouldn't stick to those parts. If it goes on wet the simply hose your bike down paying particular attention to the exposed parts. My worst experience with salt was dry salt being whipped around in the wind and getting some in my eye, man that really stings.

As for lubrication, I use Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube on the chain and the dry lube version on the mechs, I use the aerosol can as its easier to apply to the inside linkage on the rear mech.

There are quite a few good lubes out there, above is something I've done for some time and not had any issues.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    This is why many riders have cheap winter hack with full mudguards as a second bike. Although understandably this isn't an option for everyone.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    If you never clean the bike then it will start damaging things, same with the other fine grit that gets sprayed up onto the moving parts. The best and simplest way is to keep the bike clean, do it more regularly than you would in summer.

Fitting some mudguards will help massively in keeping the drivetrain (and you) clean and dry. Mine won't be coming off until summer comes round again.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Salt melts carbon on contact.
  • I only use Green Oil products on my bikes, and my chain lube is no exception; I use the standard wet lube. They perform really well; the environmental aspect is almost a beneficial side effect (most lubes are pretty bad in this regard, with aerosol lubricants being particularly bad). With that said I'd be happy to recommend Finish Line as it's cheap, available and very effective.