Bryton 50 using it abroad

threerock
threerock Posts: 19
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm considering buying the above. Live near Leeds, going to Mallorca for 10 days and want to be able to download routes for road cycling only (backroads mind you but roads, not bridleways or goat tracks etc). Is the standard offering map that comes with the device enough for this. I have read lots of posts about this and am getting progressively more confused! Thanks.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mine is a bit of a funny one so it might not be the same for most but I had no base map for abroad (Holland in my case) - but infact it doesn't matter. It was arguably clearer without a map than with most of the time. So, you can use one without a basemap at all if your routes are pre planned (and you don't get a diversion!) - so if no map at all works well, then any basemap should work fine!

PS - it wasn't you burned the cinema down was it? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for the reply. (That ruined cinema's been an eyesore for years. I'm saying no more...)
  • rolf_f
    threerock wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. (That ruined cinema's been an eyesore for years. I'm saying no more...)

It would have looked better renovated than whatever abomination does go up on that site (though likely it will be wasteground for the next 20 years!).
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Sorry to bump thread, but I'm also going to Mallorca in August and am in two minds whether to take the Bryton with me.

Rolf F, did you plan routes on Bryton bridge then download them to the device before you went? cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • rolf_f
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Rolf F, did you plan routes on Bryton bridge then download them to the device before you went? cheers

Yep - but I think you can use any mapping site now.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    When I went to Colombia I checked with Bryton first who advised they did not have Colombia covered so it would not display data real-time but would record. Sure enough, as soon as I was in front of a computer and uploaded the ride data I had all the usual data I would have for a a local ride.
  • luv2ride
    Right, when it starts raining later I'm going to huddle in front of the pc and do some Mallorcan routes - went there a couple of years ago so hopefully I can remember some of the main bits! Guess there might also be routes available to download for Mallorca on the BrytonBridge site? Have to say, that's the one aspect of BrytonBridge I don't like - difficult to search and find good routes that others have put up...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • rolf_f
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Have to say, that's the one aspect of BrytonBridge I don't like - difficult to search and find good routes that others have put up...

I've never once used someone elses routes. It's always better to draw them yourselves anyway so you get the waypoints where you want them. An, as far as Mallorca is concerned, it isn't that big and you'll do well to miss any of the best bits if you are there for a few days and do a little research. Part of the fun is working it out. If you pencil in Deja, Formentor, Soller to Pollenca and Sa Calobra as must visits you'll be half way there already!

That said, you don't have to use Bryton for the routes - any site that allows you to produce a GPX file should do it. The problem with Bryton Bridge is that it defaults everyones routes to public (which I think is out of order for security reasons) - so this means it is packed full of peoples lifetime of commutes :lol:
  • luv2ride
    Thanks RolfF. I remember Formentor (if that's the climb out the back of Puerta Pollensa?). Had some great rides over there but was always slightly nervous about getting lost, or running "out of fuel" miles away from where we were staying, all in the middle of August when it was hot, hot (and I don't really do heat!). Can't wait to get back there, so doing a couple of routes on the PC tonight will help me forget the crapy weather here (although had a cracking ride in the sun this morning 8) )