Cervelo S2 or Cannondale SuperSix evo

nomadicbry
nomadicbry Posts: 223
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
With a lot of framesets on sale right now there are some great bargains on 2012 framesets. We are planning on transferring DA groupset to the frameset and narrowed it down finally to two contenders

It will be used as an out and out race bike mostly Crits but the occasional stage race.
Both the S2 and Evo are similar priced on a few sites i've spotted and within our budget
Welcome your thoughts... and yes i know the old adage dont race what you cant afford to replace... at these prices I can afford so no worries on that score
Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I'd probably buy something 2nd hand for racing, a good quality carbon frame thats had a few knocks or failing that a cheap new alu frame.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    prefer the more traditional look of supersix and the lighter frame
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Personally I'd chose the Supersix Evo, when you think its the same frame as the Cannondale riders in the Worldtour team using this season, whereas the S2 has now been superseded. Plus from what I've seen/heard the Cannondale warranty is very good.
  • skippa76
    skippa76 Posts: 284
    You can get a 2012 s2 for just under a grand now so that makes it exceptional value. I currently have an s1 and I'm so tempted to upgrade... just need to convince my wife!
  • Looks like a 2 to 1 majority for the Evo. TBH I was swaying to the Evo also. A weekend of testing coming up
  • buccal
    buccal Posts: 53
    Where are you finding sale Evo frame sets?
  • I'll tell you once I've bought it lol
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    If it's a crit frame get the Cannondale for the stiffness of the BB and front end. Plus it's probably 200 grams lighter. I've seen (i.e. people posting pix on threads) of S2s weighing 1300 grams over the years. The Soloist Carbon has never been a climbing frame.

I'll say 1 thing about Cervelo handling is that after owning 2 pre-2010 models; I really like it and they're quick which is great for racing. I've not ridden a 'dale road frame in 4 years so cannot compare.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • is it me or is the s2 currently significantly cheaper for the frame than the supersix evo....? Although Id love if someone could say im wrong and say where I can pick one up for less than 1000. :)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The S2 is about £1k and the Evo is £1.5k if you know where to look.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    letap73 wrote:
    Wow, that black and white is hot. Someone please buy that, build it up and show it in the "My Bikes" section.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Or letap73 could just post a picture of his and save time :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    is it me or is the s2 currently significantly cheaper for the frame than the supersix evo....? Although Id love if someone could say im wrong and say where I can pick one up for less than 1000. :)

Yes it is, and as can be seen from this thread it's because the SS is better than the S2 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Fransjaques should be buying it in the next week. Will be built with full Dura Ace group set, carbon bars, seat post, etc and PX 50mm deep section tubs. Once it's built I'll post a pic that's if it's not sold out by then… just waiting on payday
  • not such a big difference between that and S2 LBS is selling S2 for £1400 and though you can find it for a grand online I've neve really been a fan of the paint job of the 2012 the white 2011 looked much better i reckon. Still the S2 is an amazing frame no doubts hence why it was down to that or the SS
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    there are a number of online shops doing S2 @ £999 from size 51-56cm tho they only have 1 or 2 sizes available in each online shop...
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    I voted Cervelo S2 myself but after doing some more research into it, I may start edging towards the Supersix Evo. It looked nice, and weight wise is very light!
  • smidsy
    Super Six Evo is supposedly the lightest production frame so you will do well to find one lighter :wink:

And it comes with a Cannondale lifetime warranty - no brainer innit 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Well if it helps, I've just bought a 54cm S2 from Corley Cycles. Mine weighs about 1100gms, so not the lightest, but not exactly a porker either.

It is, however, the best looking frame on the market, just flippin' gorgeous.
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    You are of course comparing slightly different bikes areo frame v non aero; an aero frame will in most cases always be slightly heavier than a non aero.

So if you are buying to get the lightest bike then you will edge towards the non aero frames, but remember aero equipment will trump non aero (until you get to silly weight differences).

You need to decide what type of frame you are looking for and also what geometry you need to give the best fit.

Both are great frames, but without knowing your cycling aspirations and what you optimal frame geometry I would really be able to tell you which is best suited to your needs.

I think you need to get some good fit advice and think about the type of riding you want to do. Both frames are used by the 'pros' so I am sure each perform very well.

SV