Giant Trance X 29er 1.

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm not new to the 29er thing but I am looking at getting the Giant Trance X 29er 1.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 6868/#news

I have read reviews and to be honest it doesnt do too bad appart from a light front end on the climbs and the fact that some of the reviewers had to shorten the stem from stock.

I have thrown my leg over it in the shop and had a spin on the cranks on a turbo trainer and it seems like a nice bike.

Some of the stock kit on it is pretty cheap but it has a good platorm to build on, brakes would go 1st!

Aside from the reviews online does anyone here have any experience with the bike? Anyone demo'd one?

Be good to hear your thoughts.
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I find Giant's (I have had a Talon, Trance X, Reign X & Glory) come with crap components for the money but they do have a great frame with probably the best rear suspension design which pedals amazingly well even without using pro pedal.
    I wouldn't worry about magazine testers saying they had to change the stem, I have had to change stem and bars on every bike I have owned to make it fit.
    Never pay full price for a Giant, especially this time of year. You should be able to find one hugely discounted somewhere.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Ive not bought an off the shelf bike for years, always built my own, the stem is 90mm and would probably require a shorter one.

The bike is a 2013 bike and new for 2013 I think so I dont think I will find it cheaper. I have noticed the crap components but you do get a cracking frame and forks, unsure about the wheels.

I have been offered a price for bike, swap the brakes for XT and change the shifters from trigger to gripshift. I reckon I could do it cheaper.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.