Heated gloves

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Not sure if you guys saw this but that looks pretty good to me.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Yup, my commute can be an hour so would be perfect....
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Not sure if you guys saw this but that looks pretty good to me.

Not really for myself I run very hot! But maybe for my other half? As she does get cold.
  • Wrath Rob
    Just read the Alago website. The main points not covered in the BikeRadar article are: 1 hours heat from 15s in the microwave, currently the gloves are to pre-order, cost is £36 and they'll be available form 29th Jan. Next batch is claimed to be ready in March.

It looks like they do heated gloves for other types of sports too, plus gardening.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I could have done with these this morning, the tips of my fingers were numb when I got to work.
    I do have poor circulation in my fingers, and I've been wondering about some sort of heat pack incorporated into gloves - this could be the solution !
    Misguided Idealist
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Saw them and thought 'super!' then remembered we don't have a microwave.... doh!

I guess I'll have to stick with two pairs of gloves and lots of wiggling of the fingers at lights...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Just read the Alago website. The main points not covered in the BikeRadar article are: 1 hours heat from 15s in the microwave, currently the gloves are to pre-order, cost is £36 and they'll be available form 29th Jan. Next batch is claimed to be ready in March.

It looks like they do heated gloves for other types of sports too, plus gardening.

Yup - I assume you microwave them then head straight out. If you're commuting, you need a microwave at both ends to have warm gloves in both directions, I think. The others use the common "click" method than needs to be boiled but means it's a heat source ready whenever you need it (but once it's used up, the heat source needs boiling and cooling again)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    What happens if you put them in the microwave for 20 minutes? :lol:

Gloves will be warm all week!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No microwave and they don't heat the fingertips which is the bit I have a problem with. And an hour is a bit marginal.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    edited January 2013
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Just read the Alago website. The main points not covered in the BikeRadar article are: 1 hours heat from 15s in the microwave, currently the gloves are to pre-order, cost is £36
    Simply heat the gloves for 15 seconds in a microwave and enjoy the new found warmth, which Alago claim will last for one hour.
    The Alago Commuter gloves retail at £36.99 ($58) and are currently available to pre-order from the Alago website.
    :wink::lol:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'd hope that if the rest of your fingers were warm, blood would carry the warmth down to the fingertips. I'm seriously considering trying a pair of these.
    Misguided Idealist
  • zx6man
    Rolf F wrote:
    No microwave and they don't heat the fingertips which is the bit I have a problem with. And an hour is a bit marginal.

They are commute gloves, your a hero anyway if you commute more than this in the weather we are having :-)
  • rolf_f
    zx6man wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

They are commute gloves, your a hero anyway if you commute more than this in the weather we are having :-)

I am a hero! Seriously, it can be very cold but dry and very nice for extended commutes and these can be more than an hour. That said, chances are, you'll get home a lot happier with these even if you are riding for an hour and a half. But really I want something that a) does last for longer b) can be kicked off when I need it (unless we can get roadside Microwave stations for top ups) rather than just when I leave the house and c) doesn't require a superfluous piece of kitchen equipment I don't have!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    edited January 2013
    I suffer from painfully cold fingers and this kind of thing is no good for a 4 hr weekend ride.

What gloves do people recommend for sub zero temperatures?

I was looking at these yesterday

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/20046/cra ... ger-glove/

or these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85370

And I was half thinking of looking for Ski gloves instead
  • zx6man
    I have some heated kit for the motobike, could use that, but need to carry the battery round behind me :-)

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/keis_heated_ ... ory=436784
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Neoprene diving gloves will keep your fingers nice and warm. I've worn a pair in sub-zero temperatures and my hands were sweating by the end of the ride.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    kelsen wrote:
    Neoprene diving gloves will keep your fingers nice and warm. I've worn a pair in sub-zero temperatures and my hands were sweating by the end of the ride.

Care though. I bought a pair of these for exactly this reason but the seams ran right across the pressure points on my palm and were pretty uncomfortable. They made my hands sweat rather too much too and got smelly very quickly.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,660
    I find the key to warm fingers and toes is as much to do with getting the rest of your clothing right as it is with finding the best gloves. I find aiming for slightly over dressed, preferably with a jacket or gilet that can be removed and stowed once up to temperature, means that your body isn't trying to save heat by reducing circulation to the extremities.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    rjsterry wrote:
    I find the key to warm fingers and toes is as much to do with getting the rest of your clothing right as it is with finding the best gloves. I find aiming for slightly over dressed, preferably with a jacket or gilet that can be removed and stowed once up to temperature, means that your body isn't trying to save heat by reducing circulation to the extremities.

I think this makes sense and I'm going to try a full skull cap as well as better gloves. I've succeeded in keeping feet warm with 2 pairs of overshoes and merino walking socks. I find I get too hot in a cycling jacket though.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    kelsen wrote:

Care though. I bought a pair of these for exactly this reason but the seams ran right across the pressure points on my palm and were pretty uncomfortable.

Which is why it's worth spending a few pounds more on Castelli Diluvios
    They made my hands sweat rather too much too and got smelly very quickly.

The stench of sweaty neoprene is an acceptable payoff for hot hands on a zub-zero commute, imo. (My colleagues may take issue.)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Rolf F wrote:
    zx6man wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I am a hero! Seriously, it can be very cold but dry and very nice for extended commutes and these can be more than an hour. That said, chances are, you'll get home a lot happier with these even if you are riding for an hour and a half. But really I want something that a) does last for longer b) can be kicked off when I need it (unless we can get roadside Microwave stations for top ups) rather than just when I leave the house and c) doesn't require a superfluous piece of kitchen equipment I don't have!

Not that I have been in one for a long time, but dont most petrol stations have Microwaves?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • After suffering from cold fingers I decided to try some Warmawear heated gloved liners (battery operated) paired with tenn lobster gloves.
    Temperature sensor the last couple of days has report -8/-9 (sensor mounted on front of bike) and my fingers never een felt cold.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Seriously more than one of you dont own a microwave ???

Rolf you're excused on account you clearly never eat anything, but +1 hr on the commute you need to pedal faster :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Same problem with poor circulation / cold hands. My journey is about 40 mins each way. I run hot so even in minus 5 my Gore Windstopper with a long sleeve merino is enough and by the time I get to work I'll have the zip open to keep my body cool, but my fingers will be almost frozen solid and my toes won't be far behind in Defrosters and overshoes.

I carry a pair of these http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-gel-handwarmers-400065 for emergency warming when my hands get just too cold. I assume these gloves would use the same system so the energy from the microwave is stored until the disc is clicked so you don't need to microwave immediately before use. Interestingly I've found the best place for the gel handwarmers is down the back of the hand, not the palm.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Wrath Rob
    I carry a pair of these http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-gel-handwarmers-400065 for emergency warming when my hands get just too cold. I assume these gloves would use the same system so the energy from the microwave is stored until the disc is clicked so you don't need to microwave immediately before use. Interestingly I've found the best place for the gel handwarmers is down the back of the hand, not the palm.
    No disk, looks like it immediately starts putting out the heat once it comes out of the microwave. The disk ones seem to involve boiling the entire glove for 5 mins to recharge.
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    I too suffer with poor circulation. Rest of me is fine except my fingers. the last few days i have swiped some mechanics rubber / latex (ooh er) gloves for underneath my winter gloves and it has made a big difference.
    You do sweat like a bugger in them though, but they are disposable so meh and its only a week or two each year i come into the shop nearly in tears.
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    No disk, looks like it immediately starts putting out the heat once it comes out of the microwave. The disk ones seem to involve boiling the entire glove for 5 mins to recharge.

H'mm good point, unless the heat pads come out of the gloves then boiling them ain't going to do them a lot of good will it.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    Seriously more than one of you dont own a microwave ???

Rolf you're excused on account you clearly never eat anything, but +1 hr on the commute you need to pedal faster :lol:

Do you know what - I had various tests done on me at Biobank today (look it up if you can be arsed :lol: ) and it was interesting as a comparison to my last set of tests in 2008 before I started cycling. Weight is exactly the same but my body fat has gone from 6.1% to 5.4%! Mind you, no idea what the variance on those tests is. My lung function is down noticeably but maybe I just didn't try as hard as last time :roll:

And yes - never owned a microwave. The fact that most people who own them generally say 'oh, you should get one - they are great for defrosting things' doesn't exactly inspire me to shell out for another piece of electrical tat that will go phut in 5 years time!

And my commute is 18.5 hilly miles! (Stop picking on me :lol: )