Sram Apex upgrade to Red advice needed

udinesedphm
udinesedphm Posts: 8
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Currently my groupset is Apex compact set 50/34T 110 165mm crankset gxp , 11-32 PG1050 cassette n Apex FD/RD

Do I need any specific request for my Red Sram 2013 5 pc groupset plus I'm planning to use Qrings n 3d crankset

One of the dealer email this info

Rotor 3D Compact 165mm Crank Set, 110 BCD
Rotor Q Rings Compact Set 50t/34t, 110 BCD

Sram Bottom Bracket GXP ( if you are using this bottom. Bracket with the rotor crankset then you will need a rotor bottom bracket as the SRAM GXP will not work with the rotor spindle. So this quote includes the rotor English bottom bracket)

============================

2013 Sram Red Yaw Front Derailleur

2013 Sram Red Aero Glide Rear Derailleur

2013 Sram Red XG 1090 Powerdome Cassette (what ratio to get?)

2013 Sram Red Ergo Shifters

Comments

• You'll need the Red WiFli rear derailleur if you want to run your existing 11-32 cassette, not the standard caged version; the standard will be good for any thing upto a 28 though.
  • I was going tru Sram red cassettes n none is 11-32t so shoud I get 11-28t that's the nearest to my original
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    To get the best front shifting you need the new 2013 exogram Chainset. I've just purchased the red groupset items individually. All 2013 except brakes from Merlin 2011 were £99 and Red cassette which was £75 for a 11-25. I can't justify paying over £200 for a 2013 model.
  • i read tru other bike forums...if i dont mind the weight issue...go Sram Red Shifters n all other component go Sram Force
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    My SRAM force cassette shifts much better than my Red cassette ever did. Save you money and go with a Force Cassette. I believe a lot of the pros ride Force cassettes out of choice.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    robbo2011 wrote:
    My SRAM force cassette shifts much better than my Red cassette ever did. Save you money and go with a Force Cassette. I believe a lot of the pros ride Force cassettes out of choice.
    My thoughts too but this guy wants top of the line, not value for money. Plus, he reads other forums so is *very* well informed...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Erm....sorry to jump in, cant help with the teccy advice I'm afraid, but am wondering what you are doing with your old Apex stuff...I had an off a while ago & damaged the right shifter & rear mech. Planning on selling at all (Assuming it is all in good working order)?

Good luck with the upgrade.
  • currently i have 2 options either go Full Red or

Sram Bottom Bracket GXP

2013 Sram Red Exogram Crankset Compact 165mm 34/50T 110BCD

2013 Sram Red Yaw Front Derailleur

2013 Sram Red Aero Glide Rear Derailleur

2013 Sram Red Ergo Shifters

2013 SRAM PG 1070 Cassette 11-32T (would this work with 2013 Sram Red Aero Glide Rear Derailleur if not then with SRAM Force Rear Derailleur )

SRAM PC 1091R PowerChain

Full Gore-on Cable & Housing Set Shift/Brake
  • bol
    bol Posts: 138
    You need the wifli rear mech for the 32t cassette. Otherwise go for a 28 as suggested above.
  • bol
    bol Posts: 138
    I'd go with the pg1070 cassette if it works out cheaper separately, and the xg1090 if buying the complete group is cheaper.

Having just bought 2013 Red myself, I decided to go with the reguar rear mech and an 11-25, rather than the wifli and 11-32, on the basis that I don't struggle up hills on my regular routes, the closer gears are more useful every day, the short cage looks better, and I can always swap out for an Apex or Rival climber kit on the really rare occasions I go somewhere really hilly like the Alps.