Specialized E-bike Solar hybrid conversion

SolarCross
SolarCross Posts: 7
edited February 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I choose an older Specialized FSR for my 1st e-build, and will probably use a BigHit for a DH version

Night time running lights / phosphorus
SolarCross-12-27-12-sm.jpg

testing some optics tricks to improve the solar performance:
p4pb9055665.jpg

Video - 15 watts Only
Solar Power E-bike on 3 volts (sub 15 watts) Solar test - YouTube

Comments

• This bike makes me happy!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You sir and completley and utterly barking mad - I like you, nice effort!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Looks like an 8yr olds dream bike, love it. Does it work though?
  • Does it work though?
    Yes, it goes.. many smiles per hour :) / several 1000's km's so far
    testing these days consists of riding through 1/2' of snow on the the outdoor ice rink.. so much fun
    Im trying to learn a sliding 360

Some pics from last summer/fall

p4pb8856184.jpg
    bunny hop
    p4pb8856185.jpg

leftside-800.png

upside-800.png

1000 watt 36volt motor turns the front ring, however the cranks are mounted on a freewheel..
    I tried to make a video showing how little power this bike requires going up a hill..
    when I also add pedal input matching the motor .. amazing ..
    low & high front sprockets (18T and 38T) with 9 sp. rear cassette
    grip shift on the left hand with hand twist throttle on right hand..
    watch this short video
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    When I read this initially I presumed it was a joke.

It isn't.
    :shock:
  • You sir are my new hero!

I want to see some pics of you riding that on some proper off-road.

Wait a minute though, do those cranks have to be turning when the rear wheel is moving?
  • Im really taken by surprise just from the couple responses on this forum, thank you all for taking a moment and leaving feedback /
    Cat With No Tail
    Wait a minute though, do those cranks have to be turning when the rear wheel is moving?
    short answer is the cranks do not have to turn
    longer explanation..
    - the pedals are not forced to turn, this means at least two things..
    1) very efficient energy usage can be practiced & multi-hybrid capability / (trade-off is #2)
    2) I cannot tap the e-bike's momentum for regeneration.. w/o adding additional weight and changing the bike's handling
    see video
    Custom made freewheel cranks
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    looks interesting, and also a bit mad scientist. so welcome to the forum! :-)

have you taken the bike off road? what sort of run time do you expect from the batteries?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • have you taken the bike off road?
    Oh yeah, Ive gone trail riding.. lots.. this bike is more suited for going up steeps.. rather than down them .. but I've gone riding with regular bikers on all mountain and big DH rigs.. I usually follow the pack 60-70% of the time.. going down drops is a bad idea.. not enough fork angle.. but rollers and small jumps no problem..

I made a video of a hidden trail in the woods.. near the end of last summer..
    Cinders Trail in Squamish view from Electric bike
    (I prefer the last couple minutes.. compared to the first half of the video)
    what sort of run time do you expect from the batteries?
    The very first pic in this thread, the battery is sitting on top the seat, it is only 4lbs in weight and made from two separate packs wired in series (40V @ 8000mah). For road riding.. I can go for about an hour full out.. 30-50km/h just depends the elevation changes/ wind resistance / how much pedal input (how lazy I feel) etc..
    for distance.. last summer I road/climbed 1600ft in about 3 - 3.5 hours.. up to Elfin Lakes in Squamish, B.C. Canada .. people thought I was nuts leaving at 2pm in the afternoon (back down by 7pm).. all I took with me was a small bottle of water..

This year I would like to do a week long trek through the mountains..
    here is the project website: SolarCross
  • check this video out for some electric riding fun..
    I challenge any e-bike builder to a smiles per hour video contest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAZ6xWOcP9M
    rocks, sand, ice, and snow
  • SolarCross wrote:
    The very first pic in this thread, the battery is sitting on top the seat, it is only 4lbs in weight and made from two separate packs wired in series (40V @ 8000mah). For road riding.. I can go for about an hour full out.. 30-50km/h just depends the elevation changes/ wind resistance / how much pedal input (how lazy I feel) etc..
    for distance.. last summer I road/climbed 1600ft in about 3 - 3.5 hours.. up to Elfin Lakes in Squamish, B.C. Canada .. people thought I was nuts leaving at 2pm in the afternoon (back down by 7pm).. all I took with me was a small bottle of water..

how long do the panels take to charge the battery?
  • how long do the panels take to charge the battery?

I dont utilize solar for charging the batteries at this time, but what Iam trying to do is input various energy sources at the same time.