tyres for road/gravel

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
We have a big charity event coming up - 240 miles over 4 days around the pennines and i've just found out it's for mountain bikes. (there's more group participants owning mountain bikes than road bikes). I wouldn't normally dream of covering this distance on a MTB. The route is about 70% tarmac and 30% light gravel paths and probably a bit of light mud. The off-road sections are long enough for me to decide against a set of slicks though they would make the asphalt sections a lot easier.
So I'm searching for advice on a decent light hybrid tyre for mtb that gives me enough grip for the off-road sections while giving lowest rolling resistance for the road. Any ideas?
Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slicks sound fine for that.
    Kenda small block 8's if you really want some lumps.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm personally looking at these. I mostly use my mtn bike for commuting but I also like to take it off-road on the weekends and want an all-terrain tire. These get great reviews.

Serfas Drifter Tire with FPS
    http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-Drifter-Tire-FPS-2-0-Inch/dp/B000ULU7SY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=15MCCLXJUEZ3Y&coliid=IC4LR9TT9K3Z8

My 2 cents.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your 2c - price is in $'s, OP is in UK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sprool
    yup, uk-source would be preferred pls ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Schwalbe Smart Sam roll pretty well on roads due to the near continuous centre tread, but also grip very well off road, especailly as it lays over.

Then you have something like a Kenda Kwik roller which just has light bobbles on the middle but knobs on the edges.

The other option is something like a Schwalbe city Jet and accept it will be rubbish off road (but survive) but much much faster on...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sprool
    thanks, i like the sound of the solid centre tread, will check out these suggestions.
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    ive been using dmr moto tyres for commuting to work and find them very good on road as the rubber is of a hard compound and have almost a semi slick very rounded profile. great for roads although they do have good enough grip for dirt too. worth checking out.
  • Sprool
    wow - pricey in Halfords at a penny under £25. Was angling for something a little cheaper :(
  • Unfortunately £25 isn't that expensive for a decent tyre.
    If you want cheaper you will be left with something like a semi-slick schwalbe land cruiser.
    Bomb-proof and cheap - however, pretty weighty and not that quick rolling on tarmac.

Mate swears by conti travel contacts (semi-slicks) on his mtb when we do long runs in the spring, summer and autumn.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Sprool
    i wasw looking at the schwalbe land cruisers earlier, tread pattern seemed to be what i was after. Same goes for Conti travel contacts , thx for the heads-up