Which 'armoured' shorts - for XC/AM?

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having had a couple of wipe-outs, I think it's time I got some armoured shorts to protect my hip-bones... does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want anything too hardcore - these would be for all day riding as I'm too old to bounce when I screw up and fall off... last time I landed on chalk/flint and it hurt for a week or so.

I was looking at 661 Sub Shorts, maybe Bluegrass Wolverine... also interested in views on sizing as at 34" I'm usually an L - but my experience is that sizing varies (my standard and 3/4 short are both L and are different actual sizes despite both being Endura).
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I've just bought some TLD BP 7605 from CRC

Initial impressions are mixed. The armoured areas are pretty good; both inner thigh (an area my brake levers seem to like) and they have the hip coverage you want, but they don't really stay up properly, even when I'm just walking about (haven't ridden in them yet). Lower leg stays up, but they slip around the waist, despite feeling like they should fit ok. I have found a solution though; a pair of base layer shorts over the top seem to keep them in place.

That said, I didn't really buy these for XC use. I crashed bad last time I was at Antur and they are really for that sort of course.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I have these

Fit under the usual gear and I honestly don't notice them when on. Appreciate CR no longer stock them but you could look around.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500