Another another "what tyre?" question ...

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Currently have Panaracer Rampage folding kevlar bead (2.1 I think) which is fine as an allrounder, and the majority of my riding which is local trails and xc around Leeds / Yorkshire

Looking for a bigger volume tyre to give a bit more cushioning (I only have a hardtail) and grip on the very ocasional times I get away to the Lakes, Wales etc, some trail centre stuff but mostly natural trails, but more steep and techy and rocky than I'm used to ...

So, needs to give good protection, and good in those conditions, and reasonably cheap! (ideally £40-£50 max for the pair) Weight and low rolling resistance are lesser issues as I'll only be using this tyre occasionally.

So, advice on something new ... or if anyone's got any second hand tyres that have a bit of life left in them, and which would fit the bill, that they want to offload, so much the better ...

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What width tyre will fit in your frame & forks?
  • I'll check when I'm back home, but would have thought no more than a 2.3 / 2.4 ... they'll go on a Boardman 2011 Team hardtail.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rampage 2.35?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nobby Nic EVO
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    +1 for Nobby Nics, I use the Gatestar versions and rate them very highly, the 2012 ones can be had be had for less than £20 each from bike-discount.de.

The soft compound is super grippy (afaik the shoulder knob compound on the gatestars is the softest schwalbe make) and the harder centre tread compound rolls well too, the snakeskin sidewalls are very tough and they're pretty light too, and frankly at £20 each a bargain!!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Rampage 2.35. Use an SC on the front.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:
    +1 for Nobby Nics, I use the Gatestar versions and rate them very highly, the 2012 ones can be had be had for less than £20 each from bike-discount.de.

The soft compound is super grippy (afaik the shoulder knob compound on the gatestars is the softest schwalbe make) and the harder centre tread compound rolls well too, the snakeskin sidewalls are very tough and they're pretty light too, and frankly at £20 each a bargain!!

Where are they £20 each?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    jairaj wrote:

Yep thems the ones! Basically the more expensive ones are 2013 with different writing on the sidewalls, otherwise they're identical
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    lawman wrote:

Where are they £20 each?
    Erm, put in bold to make it easier for you....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My other half uses the Maxxis Advantage and swears by them look massive but definitely seem to do the job for her.
  • rockmonkeysc
    My other half uses the Maxxis Advantage and swears by them look massive but definitely seem to do the job for her.

I have them at the moment, useless.
    RockmonkeySC wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Where are they £20 each?
    Erm, put in bold to make it easier for you....

Reading it at work, my mistake!
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Kenda small block 8's are my go-to tyre for trail centres. I think they're brilliant. Out of your budget new (£28.99 each for 2.35 Tomac DTC) but there might be a used pair on eBay or the classifieds.
  • Anyone any idea how small / large the nobby nic comes up? Was asking a mate last night about his Maxxis Highrollers - he's got 2.3's, which are only marginally wider than my Panaracer 2.1's. He was explaining that Maxxis have two sizing systems on the go, and for example tha Highroller comes up narrower than you would expect ...

Regardless, do the Nobbie's come up narrow / large / or about what they say! Just that Bike Discount do a 2.25 and a 2.35 ... I'd be inclined to go for a 2.35, unless they come up wide ...

Cheers,
  • rockmonkeysc
    2.35" Nobby Nic's are huge. 2.25" is a nice for all round trail riding.
  • It'll probably be the 2.25's then (especially since the larger one Bike Discount do is a 2.4, not 2.35!) ... not a lot of clearance on the Boardman. They're also a couple of quid cheaper! :D
  • I have Nobby Nic EVO Snakeskin on my Scott. They were too wide at 2.4 for my hard tail so I put Fat Alberts on that.

But you can get Nobby Nics at 2.25 and at £25 a tyre here:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCNICEVO/ ... lding_tyre