Carbon seatpost and aluminium frame - paste required?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,760
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I have just ordered one of these:
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SPFSSLKSB20/fsa_sl_k_sb20_sbs_carbon_seatpost
SPFSSLKSB20-272-350-0_P1.jpg

To fit on my Felt - I wanted an inline post.

My 2nd hand Felt came with a no name carbon post, and I think it had something on it, but not sure what, not grease I would say - it has alwys moved fine when I have had to remove it for car travel etc etc so would like the same ease of use with the new seatpost.
I never had any slippage issues with the old post.

What would people recommend, and what do you use in your own experience?

Many thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I use motorex carbon assembly paste. Quite cheap online and lasts ages.
  • daniel_b
    This badboy here?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Motorex-Carbon-Grease-Assembly-Compound-100ml_40819.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

40819_1_Thumb.jpg

Would it be also advisable to use this when securing carbon bars into an Aluminium stem do you know?

Possibly a dumbass question, but as I am only going to use a smear on either application, can you, or should you use this as a general grease to stop things seizing up - ie when you grease threads when you fit pedals etc etc
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Don't think it is a good idea to use it on threads etc. It has some sort of grit in it to increase friction and thus require less force to clamp the carbon parts. Yes to using it for your bars with an aluminium stem.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Andy,

by reading the reviews of that and other pastes, I see it is meant to increase friction by 30% and so require less tightening.

I had it wrong or am out of date, as I thought the idea of paste was to prevent any risk of the carbon seizing in the frame - or is this an old wives tale?

Or is the idea that as you have to tighten it less then there is less chance of seizure?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Carbon paste contains tiny balls (gritty) which creates more friction so you do not have to tighten things so much. People seem paranoid about overtightening carbon parts so it is an option if you fall into that bracket.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • As well as the grit it does have a grease like substance and this should stop things binding. The problem of carbon posts binding in alu frames is very real. My mate had to take a hacksaw blade to his seatpost over the xmas holidays!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My alu Racelight Tk came with a carbon post which would slip down when assembled dry. Epic sent me a sachet of carbon paste to use on it and that sorted the problem, and I have since bought a small pot of the stuff which should last me a lifetime. Never any problem removing the seatpost.

Definitely not intended for use on threaded components; grease for those.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That Motorex stuff sounds like it doesn't have the little particles in it, so it's designed to stop things getting stuck rather than stopping them slipping.

My stuff is kind of gritty. Made by Pace; I think this is the stuff

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26768

(That's definitely the stuff I have; I've written a review :oops: )