New Crannkset and rear cassette

Blue&White Rider
Blue&White Rider Posts: 27
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ok guys so I'm gradually fixing my bike, between the holidays slow post, and buying the wrong bits, and my time, I'll get there in the end! Just some more advice needed from you fine people please.

My chain has been slipping pretty bad, I'm now pretty sure it's slipping on the front cranks as well as the rear cassette. I've bought a new chain, but don't want to fit it until I have the other new parts now. I bought the wrong rear set unfortunately, thought it was a freewheel but it is actually a cassette. So I'm looking for a rear cassette, 8 speed, and a front crankset, prob triple, but a double might be interesting? I don't use the big cog much if at all.

I was looking at this one - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=90253
and this - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68154
Notice there is three options with that one? Ammount of teeth on the cogs I guess?

Thanks for any advice in advance. Oh, and do you need any special tools to fit the crank? I've already got what I need for the freewheel, and chain tool.

Oh and you may have guessed I'm looking at the cheap options! I can possibly go to 40 for the crank.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What BB is on the bike - if it's square taper it will fit, maybe depending on the axle length. The three numbers are not options, they are the size of the three rings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What do you have on there at the moment?

What bike is it for and what type of riding?

Do you have a budget in mind?

The 3 options on the cassette relate to the number of teeth on the smallest and largest cogs.

So for example, 11-32 means the smallest ring (the hardest one to pedal) has 11 teeth, and the largest has 32.

Which one you go for is personal preference and down to your style of riding and how much climbing you do. The bigger that last number is, the easier your bottom gear is.

You'll probably find similar options with chainsets.

As for special tools, you'll definitely need something. Exactly what tool depends on what chainset you currently have on there, or more specifically, the fitting. Square Taper, octolink etc.

If you're not sure what fitting your current chainset is, take a pic and post it up.

Don't forget that you *might* need to change your bottom bracket if you're changing chainsets. This may or may not be included in whatever replacement chainset you buy. Then you need to think about BB removal and installation tools too.

Have at it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The crankset is a good price, or you could consider second hand...

Assuming you have square taper now, to change it you'll need an 8mm Allen key (ratchet driven ideally as you do the cranks up TIGHT) or 14mm socket (depending on the bolts used) plus a crank puller. You may need a new bottom bracket if the cranks you have are designed around a different width axle for the same chainline, check the tech' docs for both cranksets.

The cassette is clearly different numberr of teeth, it tells you what they are!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I took some pictures but they'll taking a while to upload. Basically the bolt that go's through the bottom bracket (is it?) is a hexagon shaped fitting. So I'm assuming an allen key tool is needed, but I don't seem to have one big enough.

http://imgur.com/a/7k7xx/
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's just how it bolts onto the axel. You'll need an 8mm Allen key at least if you want to do it yourself.
  • I can see there's going to be some trial and error on my part here. I don't want to fit the new chain, and/or cassette with a possibly worn front cogs, I want to do them all at the same time for the best effect and efficiency on the parts. I'll order the bits and see how I get on I suppose.

Actually could I just buy new chainrings then? Just seen these. How would I identify the correct size/fitting?

Thanks guys.
  • Hi chaps, back for more advice.

Got the FSA crank, and a shimano rear cassette from chainreaction yesterday. Everything looks great, quick post. I already have a freewheel tool, but wondered if this here is the tool I'll need to remove old crank, and install new? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11661

Will I need any lube? I noticed there are pedal spanners too. Do they make removing pedals a lot easier than using a regular spanner? I was thinking of ordering som SPD ones, which would save any fiddling about. Is it easy to adapt to SPD for XC type riding?

Thanks guys
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read 'Read this first' below, for what, how etc.
    Re SPD's adapt them how? Buy shoes, clip in, pedal off, fall off, people laugh, repeat.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers for that buddy, that link has been very helpful.

:)