Help!!! Norco or Scott.

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys, Hoping you can be of great help! I am in a dilema. I have bought a Scott Genius 30 M 2012 but I am not sure if I am regretting it. I was torn between that and the Norco Sight 2 2013. I love the genius but I am going to have to get new bars, brakes etc. Where as the Norco has the kit I would be happy with but it is not carbon. I am not sure weather to return the bike un-ridden as I bought it online.

What would you guys pick?

Norco Sight 2 2013 or Scott Genius 30 2012 and why?

Cheers!!! :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Adding a few links would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lbalony
    Sorry, just joined and a complete noob!!!

Norco Sight 2 2013
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/Nor ... e-ec041223

Scott Genius 30 2012
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/Sco ... e-ec030824

Thanks for pointing the lack of links out as could have been a post with no replies then!! much apreciated!!
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    Purely on aesthetics id choose the Norco. The scott looks weird. How much was the Scott as there is no price listed?
  • lbalony
    It was 2500
  • cooldad
    I'd be expecting more than SLX etc for two and a half grand. I don't like proprietary parts like the Scott shock - just a hassle when you need things done, and RS are just easier forks, plus I prefer Shimano stuff so I'd take the Norco of the two.
    But if it was my money I'd be looking at other options.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    edited January 2013
    I'd keep the Scott but then I'm biased :wink: The Scott rear shock with its 3 positions is great by the way.

(Mines does have RS Revs and Shimano group set though).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you tested the bikes?
  • Why are you going to have to get new bars & brakes? Are the stock ones faulty?

Spec-wise, they're both fairly similar, X7 = SLX. So that really depends on if you prefer SRAM or Shimano. But if you prefer shimano I assume you'd not have bought this bike to start with. The Scott has a carbon frame if that is important to you.

I prefer SLX to X7, and I prefer Rockshox to Fox, but I'd also prefer the DT Swiss hubs on the Scott to the SLX/Mavic ones on the Norco.

As Sonic says, if it absolutely has to be 1 of those 2, you need to try them both and see which one you feel rides best.

tbh if it were my money, I'd have gone for neither one.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Spec-wise, they're both fairly similar, X7 = SLX. So that really depends on if you prefer SRAM or Shimano. But if you prefer shimano I assume you'd not have bought this bike to start with. The Scott has a carbon frame if that is important to you.

I would say that X9 is closer to SLX than X7. The X7 groupset I had was worse than my Deore groupset and the X0 I have at the moment isn't really any better than SLX.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nominally X7=SLX however in this months MBUK groupset review SLX thrashed X7.

The Scott rear shock is a DT Swiss (according to MBUK recent review) with Scott bespoke application, any DT Swiss servicer would be able to service it though, MBUK didn't rate the rear suspension very well though, criticising the shock (DT Swiss rarely score well for suspension - or at least not as well as it should for it's price compared to Fox/RS offerings).

Based on the above and that the Shimano brakes are better than Avid, I'd have the Norco, but ultimately it depends on how it rides FOR YOU.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Spec-wise, they're both fairly similar, X7 = SLX. So that really depends on if you prefer SRAM or Shimano. But if you prefer shimano I assume you'd not have bought this bike to start with. The Scott has a carbon frame if that is important to you.

I would say that X9 is closer to SLX than X7. The X7 groupset I had was worse than my Deore groupset and the X0 I have at the moment isn't really any better than SLX.

X5 = Deore
    X7 = SLX
    X9 = XT
    X0 = XTR

At least that's how it should work.

In reality though, over the last few years SRAM products have got so bad it's now more like:

X9 = Deore
    X0 = Shiny Deore
    Everything else = Dump!

Such a shame because I've always been a big SRAM fan, but I'll be changing back to Shimano this year. They've had enough last chances now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    My X0 DH groupset works ok but for what it costs I wouldn't even consider buying it, it's not worth paying half as much as Saint.
    Shimano products are so much better made I wouldn't buy anything else BUT I wouldn't be put off buying a good bike just because it has a SRAM transmission, I would just upgrade to Shimano when it wears out.
  • lbalony
    Wow. Great response and some good issues raised.

So for that sort of money, what would you be looking for and why?

Wanted to upgrade bars as feel terribly skinny, and the avid brakes dont compare to my last set of brakes.

I have not tried either? Just sat on and looked at spec, how would i go about a try before buy?

Is carbon important to me? I'll be honest i dont know the difference in ride just that i know what carbon is and its benefits over metals. Some advice on carbon vs alloy would be good too?

Cheers guys! Glad i signed up!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For a full suss, carbon is lighter, the tube is more easily damaged bu sharp point impacts but less easily damaged by large blunt impacts.

Choose to either keep or return, why look ay upgrades if you think you'll send it back, you don't have long under the DSR so doubt you'll have time for some test rides (phone around, find a shop with one, arrange a ride!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    What about the Trek Fuel EX8??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • rockmonkeysc
    hainman wrote:
    What about the Trek Fuel EX8??

Good ride and light but I know three people who have snapped rear triangles and one of them has cracked the seat tube as well. Modern Trek's are very weak.
  • lbalony
    Yes I am going to return tomorrow and start this whole thing again. I like the idea of test rides, we have an evens right near me so will see if they have any test bikes. Just wish spending my money on a good steed was easy. too many options and variables. Should have just kept my Canyon Nerve XC 8.0.
  • If you liked the Nerve so much, how come you got rid?

You've got rid of the nerve, then spent an extra £1,000 on top of that just to buy another bike with equal or slightly lesser spec.

Was it just extra travel you wanted? If so how come you didn't just go for another Canyon, especially seeing as they are about the best value for money you will get anywhere.
  • lbalony wrote:
    Hi Guys, Hoping you can be of great help! I am in a dilema. I have bought a Scott Genius 30 M 2012 but I am not sure if I am regretting it. I was torn between that and the Norco Sight 2 2013. I love the genius but I am going to have to get new bars, brakes etc. Where as the Norco has the kit I would be happy with but it is not carbon. I am not sure weather to return the bike un-ridden as I bought it online.

Pm me Hi ive been running a 2012
    sight 2 se since they arrived in the uk last year :D
  • cooldad
    paulyh101 wrote:
    lbalony wrote:

Pm me Hi ive been running a 2012
    sight 2 se since they arrived in the uk last year :D
    Did you miss the whole rest of the thread?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools