Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

97th choice
97th choice Posts: 2,222
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Buying these for the 10 year old's Carrera Blast, should I go 2.1 or 1.9?

Or just pick the cheapest which is 2.1 as this isn't much in it?
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Comments

• TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    I had a look at the Schwalbe website - the 2.1s are 670g and the 1.9s are 560g - 90g a tyre seems like a big difference!

I've recently been looking at 24" tyres to try and find slicks. Two things I've noticed are that you need to check the ETRTO (24" usually seems to be xx-507, but most thin slicks are xx-520) and you might need different tubes. That said, I'd get the 1.9.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    You want the lightest weight tyres you can afford to cut down the rolling weight. The Carrera is pretty heavy anyway, and saving 180g of rolling weight going with the 1.9 is best.

I've put Rocket Ron 24" on my sons MTB. They are only 445g a tyre, even though they are 2.1. Difference with the old stock tyres was amazing, but they are pricey.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    TimB34 wrote:
    Two things I've noticed are that you need to check the ETRTO (24" usually seems to be xx-507, but most thin slicks are xx-520) and you might need different tubes. .
    You need to stick to 24 x a decimal number, a fraction is a different standard and different wheel sizes!

So a 24x1.5 is a different size tyre altogether to a 24x1 1/2.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    othello wrote:
    You want the lightest weight tyres you can afford to cut down the rolling weight. The Carrera is pretty heavy anyway, and saving 180g of rolling weight going with the 1.9 is best.

I've put Rocket Ron 24" on my sons MTB. They are only 445g a tyre, even though they are 2.1. Difference with the old stock tyres was amazing, but they are pricey.

I don't fancy the rocket ron's for grip though.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Compared to the stock tyres they are probably a 100% improvement!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    True, But he's starting to ride natural trails with leaves/rocks/roots/mud that can also be steep and challenging in places so I would favour grip over weight (and price!) if a compromise is required.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    True, But he's starting to ride natural trails with leaves/rocks/roots/mud that can also be steep and challenging in places so I would favour grip over weight (and price!) if a compromise is required.

Nothing wrong with the grip on the Rocket Rons IMHO. My son has ridden a fair few different trail centres, on varying surfaces, winching up in the granny ring and flying down the other side. Never seen him slide or loose grip, and he doesn't hang about!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Just noticed two things - first I managed to get a simplz sum wrong and the 1.9 Black Jacks actually save 110g per tyre!

Second, the 24" RoRos are 18,95€ here http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... dell-.html Seems OK.
  • dmr super moto? kenda small block 8? halo twin rail? there's a lot of half decent 24" tyres on the market (i just wish there were more really good ones...*sigh*)