Wiggle...and the ridley orion

Hf21
Hf21 Posts: 22
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
hi all. i was just wondering if anyone has dealt with wiggle? I have sent them a few emails now but havent recieved a reply from any of them. I appreciate theyre busy but i was just wondering if anyone knows if this is the norm as i dont want to buy a bike and not be able to conract them. My next question is about the ridley orion. This will be my first road bike and i had decided on the cube peloton until i saw the ridley. I was just wondering will the ridley geometry be too racerish for a beginner? im reasonably fit but i am lookong for a bike to rack up alot of miles without hammering the back and making me regret buying it. any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as i dont want my first road bike to be a nightmare and a big regret. thanks.

Comments

• My dealings with Wiggle have always been problem free, so have never had to use their aftersales service. I believe they are the largest online cycling retailer in the UK, who on the whole do a great job, but probably don't get it right every time.

I have a Ridley Orion 2012 frame - I'm 51 years old so "racy" wasn't really in my thoughts. As long as you are realistic about frame size then you can ride the Orion all day long with no problems, if set up right. I am 5' 8" with an inside leg of 30", but an armspan of more than 5' 9" and I have the XS with a 90mm stem. It's perfect for me. The frame is light for the money, very well finished and looks good too. Last time I looked on the Wiggle site these were a bargain, highly recommended from me. Hopefully this helps.
    Ridley Orion
  • Hf21
    thanks very much for the reply its greatly appreciated! im only 5,7 so would also only require the xsmall. once again thank you for the advice.
  • I should add, my wife has the Peloton, which is also a cracking bike and slightly more neutral in terms of geometry. Hers has a Tiagra groupset, in black, it gets alot of admiring glances, everyone says it's a very good looking bike. Light for an alu, not vastly heavier than the Orion. It's the equivalent size of my Orion, it rides well, and is also a good all day bike.
    Ridley Orion
  • I took Wiggle up on their offer of the Orion at £847.50 and received it yesterday. Great looking bike & good service from Wiggle. They have always been quick to contact me so I would check that the email actually got to them (unfortunately they don't run a call centre).

I had a quick ride this lunchtime of only about 15 miles but first impressions are very good. I am only 5'6" with an inside leg of 30". I too went for the XS and think it is the right size for me (coming off the back of a Med Planet X Nanolight). It appears to be very responsive out of the saddle and the wheels & tyres really surprised me offering excellent low levels of resistance (I bought a set of Ambrossio Excellights but think I will stay with the 4ZA Stratos wheels that came with the bike until the better weather).

As for the 'racier' geometry then there is lots of spacers included on the headset to keep the bars relatively high if that's your preference (it is mine currently) and I have replaced the original stem (110mm I think) with my Deda 90mm which seems to suit my shorter reach. I can have the saddle higher on this smaller frame than I could with my Planet X which again seems more comfortable to me.

Bottom line is I would not hesitate to get an Orion if you are looking for a full carbon frame, full 105 set up bike for less than £1000.
  • Hf21
    thanks again for the replys guys! could i ask how long your bike took to be delivered from the day of purchase? thanks
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Weeman, Any chance of a photo of it, proper photos always look better than retail photos.
  • Hf21 wrote:
    thanks again for the replys guys! could i ask how long your bike took to be delivered from the day of purchase? thanks

I didn't buy mine from Wiggle, I had mine built up at my local bike shop. I have previously bought a bike from Wiggle and it was delivered in excellent time, within a week.
    Ridley Orion
  • I ordered mine from Wiggle last Wednesday morning (3rd) and it was despatched Friday and was with me yesterday - not bad if you ask me.

dwanes - I will get some photo's of it tomorrow when I head out again and post a link.
  • Hf21
    ordered it cannot waot to get out on it :-) thanks for all the help guys
  • Hf21 wrote:
    ordered it cannot waot to get out on it :-) thanks for all the help guys

You'll love it. Keep us posted on your first ride. It's a hell of a buy at that money, lovely frame.
    Ridley Orion
  • Hf21
    weeman any chance of those photos? cant wait for the beast to arrive ill keep you all updated
  • Hf21 wrote:
    weeman any chance of those photos? cant wait for the beast to arrive ill keep you all updated
    Apologies, I have been away on business the last couple of days so no access to the bike. I will try & gets some shots later and posted up. If not then I am planning a decent ride at some point over the weekend (weather allowing!) so will get some photo's then. I am sure you won't be disappointed with both the look & ride when you receive yours, particularly when you look at your bank balance afterwards :D
  • Hf21 wrote:
    Sorry for the delay but here are some photo's of my new steed:

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... C9AA16.jpg
    http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... 4CC676.jpg
    http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... 74079B.jpg
    http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... 97A8BD.jpg
    http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy23 ... CBBC85.jpg

I had just been out on Saturday and did around 35 miles on very slippery roads in freezing temperatures but still managed to enjoy it. I changed the wheels from the supplied 4ZA Stratos to Ambrosio Excelights (kept the Vredestein Fortezza tyres as they seem very grippy to me) and also changed to a Deda 90mm stem. Pedals are Shimano 105 Spd-SL's which came off my old bike.

Looking forward to putting more miles on it (weather allowing) but first impressions are very positive and even with the extra cost of the wheels, I am still quids in after buying this than I would have been for my other choice (Focus Izalco Pro) which I can put towards some nice nasty weather gear.

Sure you will enjoy the bike when you receive it and can get out.
  • Hf21
    thanks alot for taking the time to do the photos! it looks great! i cant wait for mine to arrive wish a certain bike shop would hurry up haha. enjoy it matey it loks a beast.
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    Have emailed a few times and normally hear back within 24/48 working hours. ordered lots of bits of kit from them and never had a problem with delivery either.