Buying a new full suspension 29er budget £1650 help!

Mooglbit
Mooglbit Posts: 5
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm about to purchase a new full suspension bike, would like a 29er, I've a budget of about £1650 max, I've been looking through the sales at evan's, chain reaction etc. and I've no idea what the best buy is! I've been using my friends orange five recently, and I'm hooked on that thing, unfortunately my budget can'tnstretch that far, but something with a similar ride to that is what I'm after..

Any help would be so appreciated!

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    A 29er FS won't ride like your mate's Orange 5. 5's are seen as an acquired taste by many on here; I've never ridden one so can't comment. If you are ok buying direct, I'd look at this http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3035
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    For full sus 29ers, well within your budget, try here:

Pauls Cycles
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    A 29er FS won't ride like your mate's Orange 5. 5's are seen as an acquired taste by many on here; I've never ridden one so can't comment. If you are ok buying direct, I'd look at this http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3035

The Canyons seem like great bikes with good spec. Do you know how they compare to bikes that are currently on sale?
  • For a 26" this is a bit out of my budget but very tempting.. any thoughts?

CANNONDALE JEKYLL 3
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p4347
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You need to demo some to get an idea of what works for you, the bike with the biggest discount on it is rarely the best choice. This month's MBR has reviews of a few FS 29ers at the £2k mark (but they each have cheaper options in the range so some should at least be in your budget). I demo'd the Trance 29er (same £2k model as in MBR) a couple of weeks back and agree with their conclusions (which is a shame as combining the Trance with 29" wheels is in theory a great combination).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Heavily discounted bikes are usually the ones shops can't shift and they usually can't get rid of them for a good reason.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    If you like your mates Five so much, why are you looking for a FS 29er ?

I've got an older Five (built with bits from ebay, classified etc for less than your budget), which I love. I've also had extended demo rides on a few 29ers, which were both fine bikes, but nothing like the Five. I've also got a 26" Giant Trance. That doesn't feel quite like the Five either, but it's a lot closer than any of the 29ers I've tried.

It might be worth trying to pinpoint what you liked about the Five then trying to find a bike that will give you a similar feel. I know it's not easy though. In theory I'm going to sell either the Five or the Trance as I don't need both. But despite riding them both for months I still can't decide which I prefer :oops:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you like the Orange5 and then are looking for an FS29er which is about as far from being a similar bike as you can get..... as stated you need to decide what you want (bike wise, if not at least characteristic wise) and then go from there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Oops wrong bike