29er fork Upgrade

allotropic
allotropic Posts: 33
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade the fork on my Scott scale 29er team, currently a Rockshox Tora TK.

I shave found the following...

Rockshox Reba RL for £288
Rockshox SID RL for £314

Both 100mm with QR.

I tend to use the bike for trail and XC, and am off to the peaks in few weeks for a skills course so it would be nice to get a fre rides in before the trip.

I have about £300-350 to spend and it need to cope with me being a bit heavier than most at a tad over 16 stone.

Suggestions and thoughts appreciated.

Cheers :)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    For your size, and if you have easily convertible hubs, I'd go for a 15mm axle every time. Rebas are a tad stiffer than SID's but otherwise I think all the internals are the same. To be honest I don't think there is a major difference between the two (someone will no doubt enlighten us though...), if you ride XC then use the XC fork so go SID
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Thanks.

I realised i should have said i ride mostly Trail and XC, fingers were clearly slower than my brain when typing ;)
  • ddraver
    Balance of do you prefer stiffness over weight then really....
    - @ddraver
  • I assume (maybe wrongly) from what you are saying that the Reba RL will be stiffer than the SID RL?

To be honest saving a few pounds on the slightly lighter SID is not an issue with a lump like me on the bike.

The SID has only come into the equation as it's not much more cash than the Reba.
  • ddraver
    edited January 2013
    I was in t same position with 26in versions, I could find nothing to seperate the forks on apart from weight and a 15mm axle on SID or 20 on t REBA.

I think Rebas are a bit stiffer whereas SIDs are a bit lighter. Really I went with SID cos I think 15mm is the way low-travel forks are headed...

Really think there is that little to separate them...

(Edited for phone spazwangleness)
    - @ddraver
  • how about a manitou tower
  • how about a manitou tower

I must confess I've not really looked at the Manitou forks, but i'll take a look, thanks.