I need tyres- help me?

tompo24
tompo24 Posts: 10
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys, nooby here been lurking for some time.

I need some new tyres but i dont know what to get i am slightly overwhelmed by the massive choice/ different options.

Currently i am riding Schwalbe Nobby Nics which came supplied with my Giant Trance they are okay but i find they are useless when it is damp/wet. I would like something similar but better in the wet not heavier and preferably cheap!!

I have heard good things about Maxxis tyres, i have looked at Holy Rollers and Minions what do you think would either of these be a good option? i ride mainly trail centre's and XC.

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nobby Nics are great tyres unless you have the basic ones with the rubbish compound.
    Holy Rollers are a dirt jump tyre, useless for what you want and Minions are too fat to fit in the Trance. Try 2.2" Bontrager XR4 Team Issue. If you want a tyre specifically for mud and don't mind changing them for dry weather (if we ever have any) you could get a specific mud tyre like a Schwalbe Dirty Dan or Bontrager Mud-X.
    I found rear tyre space very limited in the Trance, don't go any bigger than a 2.2".
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cheap is never very good - folding tyres with better compounds cost more but work better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tompo24
    cheers for the replies guys

Tom
  • tompo24
    What are peoples thoughts on Schwalbe Hans Dampfs? i want a do it all tyre if there is such a thing, does this fit the bill? I dont want a mud specific tyre dont wanna have to mess about swapping tyres all the time.

Any opinions appreciated.
  • I have a pair of the folding Hans Dampf tyres, trailstar (front) and pacestar (rear) compounds. Only had them on for a couple of weeks but first impressions are good. I was after an all year tyre too, I had Continental Mountain King previous and they were hopeless in the wet/mud I found. HD are harder going uphill due to the size 2.35 but I was after a set that gave me confidence on the reverse. These have done just that! Early days still so cant comment on dry conditions but I'm enjoying them so far...

If you do get a set buy from www.bike-discount.de a lot cheaper than blighty!
    2011 Genesis Core 50