Campagnolo Alloy

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Current groupset - Centaur 2008 alloy 10 speed with carbon levers & an alloy Record rear derailleur.

Objective - All alloy for the steel & chrome Colnago Master.

Option 1 - Old Chorus 10 speed levers.
Option 2 - New Athena 11 speed levers. (I don't think Athena is available in 10 speed).

Would the Athena 11 speed levers be compatible with 10 speed derailleaurs?
I don't see a problem at the front but there may be at the back. If I have to go 11 speed deraillleur then the price ramps up to derailleur, cassette, chain and front rings. I think.

Can anyone give advice on the best and/or easiest route?

Thanks.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I'd imagine the 'best' option would be some old Chorus - as I understand it they are very well made.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    AFAIK 11speed levers aren't compatible with 10sp so you would need the old chorus ones
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Record 1998 components before the carbon ergos came out which has a polished alloy finish - much cherished by those looking for the polished alloy look. Likewise, Chorus of the same vintage is nearly as good except lacks the titanium fasteners - it's absolutely bombproof and parts are still available. A pair of Record titanium hubs would have been a good investment when new £100 and now selling for £250+
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Chorus 10 speed levers Athena 11 speed are not compatible
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    You could just get Veloce / Centaur alloy shifters in new shape if that is what you'e after - why Athena 11 speed - unless Athena has a nicer alloy finish?
  • daviesee
    Thanks for the comments guys. Will hit fleabay.
    Athena instead of Centaur as Centaur only appears to be in black/red finish.
    Athena instead of Veloce as the finish looks cheap and the gear levers are black.

Yes, it's a bit tarty but that's why I got the Master. :wink:
  • Fair enough on the finish for Veloce but check out the Campag website - you can definitely get the levers in silver
  • daviesee
    skyblue337 wrote:
    Fair enough on the finish for Veloce but check out the Campag website - you can definitely get the levers in silver
    Fair point. But you try sourcing them.
    I can't even find photos.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    An option is Veloce Powershift silver levers:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase

However, with powershift, you loose the multi-shift thumb button (just single shifts). Also, officially, powershift levers are incompatible with earlier ultrashift/ergopower mechs (cable pull differences) but those that have tried say they work fine.

Also, keep an eye out for pre 2011 ultrashift Centuar levers on ebay - they would fit the bill perfectly and have the full multi-shift.
  • daviesee
    g00se wrote:
    Again, that is Veloce which would look cheap and out of place on my bike.
    Thanks for the help though. I will continue the search for older stock and if I don't get any joy through 2013, go for Athena for 2014.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    g00se wrote:

Also, keep an eye out for pre 2011 ultrashift Centuar levers on ebay - they would fit the bill perfectly and have the full multi-shift.

This would be your best bet for 10-speed new shape hoods. I got the carbon Centaur ones in 2009 I think, the alloy ones then were definitely silver and this was when Centaur was still relatively high up the Campag range (roughly Ultegra level) before Athena came in and Mirage / Xenon disappeared* so I think they were nicely finished.

*(they may have been officially axed but still generally available then!)