Upgrade my wheels or tubeless conversion

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked loads of times, i have searched but not found a specific answer.

My Lapierre runs Fulcrum Red Metal 10 wheels, with tubes. I would like to make the switch to tubeless. So in people opinions would i be better at converting my exsisting wheelset with a tubeless Kit or purchasing a tubeless ready set of wheels and selling my current wheels? What would be the perks of wither choice? Also if i do convert my rims with a kit like Stans, would i need to buy Tubeless specific tyres? If so, what tyres would people recommend for 26" wheels for use on Forest of Dean trails and alike (also cotswold riding cross country)

Keen to hear peoples thoughts.

Many thanks,

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you go tubeless conversion, you can use your existing tyres.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You should be able to use a standard conversion kit from Stans to make the rims run tubeless, but it depends on the tyres as to how much success you have or if you need to change those.

Most if not all current Schwalbes are labelled TL meaning than can be run tubeless (can't speak for other manufacturers) but I know when I first went the tubeless route I started out with Maxxis tyres and had the devils own job getting them to seat and stay inflated. Gave up in the end and the Schwalbes have been the most reliable tubeless tyres I've tried to date.

I swear by the Nobby Nic on the front and Racing ralph on the back.

I converted a pair of DT swiss XC1800 wheels using this method and they were rock solid (selling them now as I've gone over to the 29er side).
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Cheers Stubbo, i will order a stans kit now then. I guess the next question is should i keep my Continental Race King 2.2's or change to another set. I guess given the tyres have been used they maybe difficult to set to the rim when trying to set the tyres? Has anyone had any experience using a used race king when doing the conversion?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I didnt do a conversion but i have used a race king tubeless (non tubeless tyre), It was a real bugger to get it seated the first time!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • to help with seating the tyres if you dont have a compressor at home then the DIY 2L fizzy pop bottle compressor is Brilliant!
    it should come up in a search for it, butall you need is 2 valves, one with core removed (if you've some old presta tubes that are punctured etc then snp the valve head off for the same effect!!), a length of plastic tubing that'll fit over the valve and a drill bit,
    is aittle tight on the lid but doabl to get both valves on, when valves are on, connect the tubing to the coreless valve, kink it and conncet the other end to the rim valve with its core removed, pump the bottle up to 60ish psi, unkink the hose and Bazzinga! one seaed tyre!! 8) if 60psi doesnt quite do it, try a bit more, ive done mine to 80 before ad had no issues,
    then you can pour your sealant through the valve pop the core in and pump to pressure,

theres a few vid's on youtube showing them in action,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    When doing tubeless conversions every rim and tyre combination is slightly different so hard to guaranty if something will work well or not unless someone has already tried the exact same combination.

I've many contradicting posts with some people says tyre X works well and many saying tyre X did not work well in a tubeless setup.

I'm a big fan of tubeless but only when the rim is designed to run tubeless from the start. The results seem far more consistent compared to tubeless conversion stories.
  • I went tubeless recently and got these:

http://www.moonglu.com/shop/hopepro2evo ... nscrest-2/

I decided on some racing ralph double defence tyres. Just put the valve and tyre on, added the sealant and pumped it up.. job done. My rear tyre is more or less spent now but still not one flat! For Thetford and my local trails the racing Ralph's have been brilliant but wear quite quickly.