Hope tubeless kit for Stans rims - fine for DT rims?

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just a quick one, I want to convert to tubeless, I have DT Swiss EX500 rims, which I understand are tubeless ready, and some Schwalbe Hans Dampfs, which are also tubeless ready. The DT swiss tubeless kit is £35 a wheel, the Hope one for Stans rims here is £20 for both. I've heard that the Hope kit is fine on pretty much any rim, despite it saying just for Stans rims, is this correct? If not, where can I get a tubeless conversion kit that won't have me paying out the nose?
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• Can buy a tube for a fiver :wink:

Actually, my new rims are tubeless ready, been thinking about giving it a go!
    didn't realise the kits were that expensive though!
  • ilovedirt
    I've been flatting left, right and centre for ages. I suspect the new tyres with a decent sidewall will help, but I'd quite like to give tubeless a go. £20 for two tyres isn't too bad, fuck paying £35 an end though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I haven't had a puncture for ages, but seeing as the rims are tubeless ready, I feel like I should try it. But of £70 it can feck off :lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The DT rims are only tubeless ready because they make a conversion kit! Band-waggon jumping in action right there!

I'd not expect the Stan's kit to work that well - you really need a thicker rim strip for the DT rims (which their kit includes), the yellow tape method is really for Stan's rims, which actually are designed to be run tubeless.

I never had any luck converting XC717s with the yellow tape some years ago. YMMV.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    rimstrips? I'd go with 2 bmx tubes and a big bottle of fluid, ghetto style.
  • ilovedirt
    aaah, this is a pain. Half tempted to sell my wheels and just buy some stans flows on superstar hubs.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5