New Shifter (and how to fix a broken one)

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a new RH 9 speed shifter to replace my current X5. I can get a brand new X9 shifter for the same price as a used X0. What are the pros/cons to each? Slightly put of buying second hand after a recent problem so if there isn't much difference I'm more tempted to go X9. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=84868

And unrelated - I have a broken X7 9 speed shifter but the indicator window doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix this? There doesn't seem to be anything on google. (Apologies for the wrong section, but no point starting two threads!)

Comments

• jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    I have the same x7 shifter problem. still shifts but it doesnt read the right gear on the indicator. i asked at halfords and they said it was a bent spring inside.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Greer_
    In this case the indicator just doesn't move. Good to know though. I'd consider taken it apart but i've no idea what to look for!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably can't. Shifters are a bugger once you open them and start taking bits out - putting them back together makes Rubiks Cube seem easy.
    Just use it without the window and shift when you need to shift.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Some t*t on ebay sold me it, describing as fully working, but they (pair of shifters) have no home now as he wouldnt accept a refund. Ebay sorted it and I got my money back, but the guy still didn't want them back. Weird :?

Was gonna upgrade my X5 shifters to X7 but I'd prefer X9/X0 now.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    I've got x7 cant imagine there being much difference between the x5 any way im now looking into brand new x0 or pre loved xx
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Greer_
    X5 and X7 are practically the same I believe. I think both X9 and X0 are zero loss travel and a less plastic-y feel so should hopefully be an improvement.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume if you have an X7 with a display it's the older style one where the window wraps round the bar clamp...

The red indicator is just a film of plastic and can come off the 'latch' in the mechanism that pulls it round, put shifter into highest gear, open up, rehook with indicator in right place, close up....had to do this on my LH shifter.

My son has the latest style X9 (no display, seperate clamps) on his RC-20 (link in my sig), very nice, pretty light at 115g.

SRAM shifters are in the 2 distinct families of old (wrap round indicator) and new (none at all).

Guess the seller didn't feel the need to have a pair of broken shifters!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Yep it's the old style, looks exactly the same as my X5! Thanks, seems easy enough so i'll give it a go later! He was a right d*ck about it, but I knew it wouldn't have happened in the post - he said he'd been talking to eBay and I'd never get a refund, blahhh blah, he was in the right, then bam, email from eBay 'you have been issued a courtesy refund'. Anyone else I would've sent them back after I got my money back ....

Seems like X9 will be a good choice then, i'll keep the X5 RH shifter until I see something cheaper!
  • I've found there is always a difference every time you go up a grade in spec but you need to jump 1 or 2 grades in one go to get yourself a step change in performance.

I do hope you gave that knob head eBay seller some stick after you got your refund Greer? ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374