Why do Rockshox make ugly forks?

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Fox forks are far better looking! Now it can't take much to design the aesthetics of a Rockshox better can it?

Because Rockshox forks perform better than fox, require less maintenance so if they looked equally as good they'd be laughing.

They do seem to be improving though! But still a long way off Fox in the looks department!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shouldn't this be in Crudcatcher?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    They all look the same to me, just different stickers
  • concorde
    Fox are def nicer!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Because boobies.

About as sensible an answer as you're going to get in this thread.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Because boobies.

About as sensible an answer as you're going to get in this thread.
    Better but even more belongs in Crudcatcher.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    Don't see why I can't get an answer. It's a fair enough question. Belongs in the buying section because aesthetics influence buying, obviously! But as per, can always expect Cooldad to act the cunt.
  • ilovedirt
    Ah yes you're right, sorry. I forgot that everyone on the planet has exactly the same taste in everything.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The obvious answer for shallow prospective purchasers is...Buy an RS shock, remove stickers, attach fox stickers.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    Dodgy network double post

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I think if you just had bare lower legs. Rock Shox forks look better
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not something that had ever crossed my mind, how forks 'look'.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    They are just forks. I have both Fox and RS and both work as I want them to. I'm not overly bothered what thy look like.
  • I think the big fox tail stickers look a bit daft. But then if the fork was great, I'd just remove the stickers. Pace carbons are very sexy though ;D
    I once had Paul smith shoes which had pictures on the soles - but nobody paid any attention when I pointed out how cool that was. I soon realised that its the one bit of a shoe where function over form is essential.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Think Concorde must be a roadie - this is up there with "I don't ride my nice bike in the rain''
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • concorde
    It's fine for people to say Orange 5s are pig ugly but then 'never notice' that the look of forks?! Give it a break, everything in life you judge aesthetically, it's part of being a human. Every woman's vagina works the same but you don't pick a right munter do you?! Same with forks. Just asking why rockshox designs are not as aesthetically pleasing as Fox, that's all.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    they re all 2 white sticks joined at the top....

forks that is...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ddraver wrote:
    they re all 2 white sticks joined at the top....

forks that is...
    what ? even the black ones ? :shock: :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Concorde wrote:
    It's fine for people to say Orange 5s are pig ugly but then 'never notice' that the look of forks?! Give it a break, everything in life you judge aesthetically, it's part of being a human. Every woman's vagina works the same but you don't pick a right munter do you?! Same with forks. Just asking why rockshox designs are not as aesthetically pleasing as Fox, that's all.
    I prefer the look of rockshox forks.

Why don't fox make their fork look like rockshox?
  • If you strip the decals they are really rather similar.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I prefer RS for looks, they are mostly black or white lowers and coordinate better with the frame colours than Fox's funny silver.

I have a purple frame, neither RS nor Fox make forks with Purple lowers like my Manitous......

But really, it's not that relevant!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    I can't believe the amount of serious answers in this thread. :roll:

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Concorde wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Concorde wrote:

Not all 'yous' are the same.

Like a badly packed kebab.
  • cooldad
    Concorde wrote:
    Every woman's vagina works the same but you don't pick a right munter do you?! Same with forks.
    Unlike you, I don't have sex with my bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    Most retarded thread, ever.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Concorde wrote:
    Fox forks are far better looking! Now it can't take much to design the aesthetics of a Rockshox better can it?

Because Rockshox forks perform better than fox, require less maintenance so if they looked equally as good they'd be laughing.

They do seem to be improving though! But still a long way off Fox in the looks department!

3754217237bf20464c4f702f10581ad7.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Though saying that, the red stanchioned boxxers look nice:

TUBES-BOXXER-2.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    Ooof, that's lush.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    i really wouldnt say theres anything so stand out diffirent about both fox and rockshox forks. in fact pretty much all forks are of similar style. its hardly like comparing frame designs. theres not exactly a lot fork companies can do to make such a visual diffirence to make them more appealing. the only major diffirence ive ever saw in fork design is manitou with their brace at the back rather than the front which kinda makes it look like there on the wrong way round and i dont really like that look. but other than that rs or fox. nothing diffirent!!
  • Cubist
    Cubist Posts: 73
    Concorde. Go and join another kind of forum. Maybe a fashion forum?