AM/DH tyre dilemma

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi
Having owned my Specialized Enduro for 9 months (after a 10 year break from riding) I'm in need of some new tyres...
I like the Clutch 2.3 (F) and Purgatory 2.2 (R) tyres it came with but both are pretty worn.
Can't explain this but haven't had a single puncture since owning the bike :shock:
Mainly ride trail centres in S. Wales and the occasional uplift.
Off to Morzine this July.

They need to suit the trails for the next 9 months but also be chunky enough for a good thrashing on an uplift day.
More grip without loss of rolling speed would be great. Would going tubeless give me more speed?

Your comments are appreciated.

Nice one :wink:
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• Try some single ply minions, put the fr on the front and rear.

Might be heavier though.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Minions are good, but single ply is a bit rubbish for downhill, and the dual ply is a bit heavy for XC. I've got some Schwalbe Hans Dampfs recently and will be trying them in a few days, I'll let you know the verdict. They're technically single ply, but have a snakeskin sidewall so hopefully should hold up better than single ply, and they're folding, so weigh about the same as the single ply minion and advantage I'll be replacing. They have a pretty aggressive tread pattern too, should be pretty sweet for some all round riding, in theory.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Was out with a mate yesterday who's just bought a pair of Hans Dampf 2.35. They look more like 2.5's which I like.
    Also like the fact they have knobs between the centre and outer edge. Have heard Minions have a big "no man's land" before you can get on the outer edge when cornering.
    Think I'll go for a pair unless anyone comes through with a late suggestion!
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For DH and alpine stuff you need to have dual ply unless you are riding like a big girl. Get a set of High Roller 2 DH in 42a compound for downhill and a set of Hans Dampf's for other stuff.
    Minions are awesome but they don't work in damp, sticky conditions. High Rollers work in most conditions.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Depends where you ride, minions work perfectly for damp north wales riding. Not so much in the alps, clog up a bit fast. I ran maxxpro minions for two weeks in the alps though, put a swampthing on the front for the wetter days, worked fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5