Repaired CF frame...

sopworth
sopworth Posts: 191
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Has anyone repaired a cracked carbon fibre frame and not had any problems?
I've cracked a frame around the bottom bracket and am debating whether or not to get it repaired or scrap it. It's only a hairline crack and would be repaired cheaply enough, but will I be running the risk of injury?
I use the frame as my race bike (I started a few races last season but really want to press on this season). It will be getting some tough treatment so I am really curious to see if others have had a frame repaired without any complications? Good or bad thing basically?

Really interested to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Regards,

S

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Get it assessed by a professional carbon repairer, if they say it will be ok after repair then you should be fine

Is the frame not covered by warranty?
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    PM Me with pics and details. You'll fine several bikes I've repaired in the my bikes section, ranging from superficial chips to one that had a separated head tube and seat stays.

It WILL be repairable, it will just be that depending on the job/frame and you, it may or may not be worth the cost. If you PM me with pics and more info I'll get back to you with some more details of who I am and what the costs may be. But one things for sure, YES it can be repaired and if done competently with the correct kit then it will be perfectly safe and you will never need give it a 2nd thought.

I wouldn't just reply on here though as I may miss it (my PMs email me).
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    This might help http: //www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12897486

Depending on cost & frame value, I might try fixing or at least get an estimate.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.