Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op - best bike?

Grae
Grae Posts: 15
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm restricted to buying through the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op due to our cycle to work scheme.

Can anyone advise on what looks good for £1k from their range at the moment? Not a huge amount to choose from but want to get the most for my money. Not bothered about full suss obviously at that price unless there's something good in the sale.

Looking to go down and try a few out but want to try and narrow it down to 2-3 first.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    As we don't know where and how you want to ride, you might not get a sensible answer, but for £100 over budget I'd get this.
  • Grae
    will look at that cheers. I'm 5'10" so may be a bit big but looks like a good deal.

I'm mostly riding trail centres (Llandegla, Delamere etc) but looking to do more XC and day long rides

Currently riding an old 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport with a knackered fork and no disc brakes so anything is going to be good in comparison!
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    I'd say either the Focus fot full suss .... or Genisis or giant for hard-tail
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I got last years focus blackforest 2 29er on b2w. Been more than happy with it but the forks are a lower spec on that 2013 model.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • MTBUK wrote:
    Why ? Two different types of bike for very different ridin !!
  • Riding dam phone
  • i would also say go for this
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... er-comp-12

its a tiny bit over your budget but for me the Specialized Camber Comp '12 has 120mm travel from a RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air. most of the other bikes only have 80 or 100mm. some of the other bikes have a better spec in places. but if you want a bike that can ""ride anywhere,do anything" kind of attitude then go for the Specialized Camber Comp. you can always upgrade the parts as time goes on.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Can't go over budget on b2w usually.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    MTBUK wrote:

he did say he might be interested in full suss if the price is right...... hence why i mentionned a choice of h/t and f/s .............. numb tard!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    That over the specialized http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... them-x4-12 probaby not in your size though? Nothing really grabs me as a good deal maybe http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -3-0-xt-13
  • Grae
    Lots to look at there cheers. I'm also struggling to see anything that looks like a good deal aside from last years stuff on clearance - which, being average size, is hard to get something in my fit.

I think c2w might be a restriction. But I'm wondering if they might be open to some haggling? Anyone tried before? Really like the look of the Spesh and Giant full sussers.
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    Having looked at whats available from that particular shop i would go for the 2012 cannondale trail sl1 on sale from 999 to 699 and then use the rest of the money for new helmet/ clothing etc. But thats just me! I dont know if you are aware but usually through cyclescheme if you buy a sale bike the shop will usually add 10% of the sale price back on. Im onto my third cyclesceme bike and all have been sale bikes. Saved a lot of money!
  • keep calling me names.........and someone's gunna get BOSTED!
  • MTBUK wrote:
    MTBUK wrote:

he did say he might be interested in full suss if the price is right...... hence why i mentionned a choice of h/t and f/s .............. numb tard!!

Makes sense to insult people don't it ? I take it you know everything about bikes...the way you talk...try riding your bike and enjoying it instead of picking fault with everything.....same troll and all that
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Grae wrote:
    Lots to look at there cheers. I'm also struggling to see anything that looks like a good deal aside from last years stuff on clearance - which, being average size, is hard to get something in my fit.

I think c2w might be a restriction. But I'm wondering if they might be open to some haggling? Anyone tried before? Really like the look of the Spesh and Giant full sussers.
    from there site
    You cannot spend more than the maximum value of Hire by paying additional money to Edinburgh Bicycle.
      q.14 on here
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... ployee.htm
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Grae
    chez_m356 wrote:
    from there site
    You cannot spend more than the maximum value of Hire by paying additional money to Edinburgh Bicycle.
      q.14 on here
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... ployee.htm

Well spotted. That's that idea out the window. Looks like I can't even get a bike less than £1k with a good frame and upgrade the fork with the rest as they sayits safety equipment only.

Back to the drawing board!

What does everyone think of the fill suss focus (super bud 3.0). Could upgrade the fork with my own cash maybe.
  • Grae
    Also what's the difference between Deore, slx and xt kit?

Lots of questions!

Cheers. :D
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Nothing wrong with deore, it's nice and it works well, SLX and XT is going up the range and gets lighter and better. For a hard tail at that price, i'd want a mix of SLX and XT. For a full suss, i'd be happy with deore/SLX. (that or SRAM equivalents)

Now PLEASE ask another question before a SRAM/Shimano etc debate starts!!
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    im not jumping onto a sram shimano debate!but ive had 2 bikes with sram and 1 xt setup. Both work fine. i have no preference but currently running sram x9 2x10. also in regards to the cyclescheme you are in, which one is it? ive had 3 bikes from cyclescheme and the first time they said i could only get safety equipment. i got a helmet, lights gloves and kneepads. they said i couldnt get clothing or anything else, however this year i could get anything i wanted! dont know what the restrictions are with diffirent schemes.