MTB Maintenance

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Greer_ wrote:
    I wouldn't be spraying anything IMO. Its far too likely to hit brake pads/discs. Especially if you're using a spray lube on the drivetrain.
    Shower cap around the disc caliper/rotor during every service involving any sprays for me.
    Doesn't it leave sh1t on your hair afterwards?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    DONT USE WD40 FOR GOD

go to your local bike shop or asda/tesco they sell gt85, asda is the cheapest by far

also DONT USE car shampoo or washing up liquid no matter what anybody tells you, washing up liquid has salts and most car shampoos have a mix of salt and or wax. even the quality car shampoo like "mer" that says its ok for mountain bikes is no good because it has a high level of wax. i tryed mer shampoo the first time i got my bike dirty and on the next ride i couldent stop propley because of the wax on my disks breaks LoL. the best thing to buy for value is Fenwicks at around 9.99. i always get mine when evens cycles have their discount codes.

There's loads of decent car shampoos that have no wax in them (Mer isn't the best quality). You could try DoDo, Zymol, Megs, Chem Guys etc etc. Or if your a bit anal (like me :D ) you could take the wheels off and cover your pads then use what you want..........apart from the dreaded washing up liquid :lol:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    I am not sure why people are so scared of WD40. It is cheap and does great job with cleaning dirty chainrings, cables and protecting components from mud sticking. Don't use it as lubricant on chains, bearings, disc rotors etc. and all will be OK.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Uli wrote:
    I am not sure why people are so scared of WD40. It is cheap and does great job with cleaning dirty chainrings, cables and protecting components from mud sticking. Don't use it as lubricant on chains, bearings, disc rotors etc. and all will be OK.
    So what lubricant do YOU use on disc rotors?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    only pure butter.
    Seriously I know my post may be boring but I try to keep them simple at least. So again:
    "Don't use it as lubricant on chains, bearings, disc rotors etc"
  • Folks on these forums seem to get all in a lather about the salt in washing up liquid and then recommend a cleaner which must be washed off or else it may damage the bike - I don't see the difference :?:
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Hose the fucker, kind of dry the fucker, lube the chain every 3 rides.

Big clean when the winters over, that's it.