Lezyne Micro Drive Front and Rear lights?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Ive read that the brackets on these can be useless, any experiences? Any other recommendations?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    what are the prices and lumens output on these?

I just bought a front and pair knog usb ones, happy with them so far
    fine on lit areas but the front isn't bright enough for dark paths
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Ive read that the brackets on these can be useless, any experiences? Any other recommendations?

Had a rear now for 500 miles, not moved one inch. This has been over very rough roads, potholes etc. Mine is secured in a Ritchy Aero seatpost, so it's very tightly fastened.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • I have the macro set and had no problems with the clips at all on some terrible roads.
  • I have a Macro front - the bracket itself is fine (the rubber band is very thick and strong), but the light seems to slide gradually forward inside its grip. It fell out once, but now I just slide it back again about once an hour. If I could be arsed, I'd secure it better, but sliding it takes two seconds.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • The reports of the rear light falling out were down to not clipping it in properly. You need to make sure it 'snaps' into the holder. Once it's in it isn't going anywhere!

I was so impressed by the rear Micro that I've bought a front one with a helmet mount as a backup and extra boost when it gets really dark.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I was going to buy one of the rear lights but the reviews online were very poor. They almost all complained about the thread on the light being so soft and such a fine pitch that it is almost impossible not to cross thread it. I don't own one so I don't know how true this is but I saw the same comment coming up repeatedly.

I have decided to buy the very well reviewed Moon Comet instead.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    lotus49 wrote:
    I was going to buy one of the rear lights but the reviews online were very poor. They almost all complained about the thread on the light being so soft and such a fine pitch that it is almost impossible not to cross thread it. I don't own one so I don't know how true this is but I saw the same comment coming up repeatedly.

I have decided to buy the very well reviewed Moon Comet instead.

It took me a while to work out what you meant. It's like anything, if you take a second of care you won't damage the thread on the caps and I have personally not seen that complaint before. As for the brackets, agree with earlier post that those that fell out were down to user error. I came off my bike a few weeks ago and the rear light stayed in it's bracket!
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    I have the Macro front, definitely notice some movement but as it's in front of you all the time no problems. For the rear I wen't with Moon Shields. Seriously bright and a simple mount similar to the way the Lezyne attaches but no chances of it falling off.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Have this set, great lights, nice output and very light. No problems with the bracket, just make sure the light is clipped in properly.
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    I have the Micro Drive Front and it really is a great little light. The bracket is obviously easy to take off but it's snug and sturdy once it's on :)
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    I bought a a pair for £22 at the weekend for my winter bike. For this kind of money they seem fine to me. Haven't used them out yet but inside the house in a pitch place room they seem very bright to me. I'm only using them as an aid to be seen so should be fine. I imagine if you need them to light your path then your going to need a stronger light that projects some kind of beam.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • nick300zx
    nick300zx Posts: 219
    Crispyapp wrote:
    I bought a a pair for £22 at the weekend for my winter bike.

That's a great price. I'm guessing you didn't buy them new. If you did, where? :D
  • I bought the Macro/Micro twin set. No problem at all with the Macro on the front, but I lost the Micro rear light within a couple of days. Grrrrr!

At the risk of sending good money after bad, I bought another Micro rear light. It was secured in the packaging with a couple of fine but sturdy twist ties, so I used one of these to secure it to the bracket. It gives me peace of mind and when the light needs charging, it's easy enough to untwist to take it out of the bracket. When I leave my bike anywhere I take the whole bracket off with the light still attached, by unclipping the rubber band.

I can thoroughly recommend these as lights, but wouldn't risk having a micro without securing it somehow, particularly out-back where you wouldn't notice it dropping off.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    The reports of the rear light falling out were down to not clipping it in properly.
    If that were the case one wonders why they redesigned the rear bracket to be a more substantial affair?

OP - I have the Macro/Micro set and they are great lights. I have a five mile cycle to the station at 5am and the boost setting of the front (apparently 300 lumen) is more than bright enough for peddaling full tilt on unlit roads. Make sure you get the updated bracket (clips and holds about 2/3rds of the light rather than the originals grabbing-of-the-very-tip method).
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    nick300zx wrote:
    Crispyapp wrote:
    I bought a a pair for £22 at the weekend for my winter bike.

That's a great price. I'm guessing you didn't buy them new. If you did, where? :D

Sorry I'm mistaken, it's these I got for £22 a pair, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-femto-dr ... ont-light/ not the micro drives. These are still powerful though for there tiny size.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB