Lightweight budget wheels

vespario
vespario Posts: 228
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently have Mavic kysrium elites on my carbon summer bike and shimano RS10s on my winter bike.

Looking for some lighter budget wheels for winter bike to help with longer hilly rides when I get dropped big time on lub runs. Am ok on the flat!

Have considered better wheels for summer bike and putting the mavics on the winter bike but they good such good reviews that it doesn't seem worth it.

Advice please? Budget up to £300 for winter wheels.

Thnks

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Being dropped on the hills won't be solved by the Elites I am afraid! I know only too well after struggling on the club run in the Peak District yesterday - nothing to do with having lighter wheels and everything to do with not having the legs!
  • No disrespect, but a few g’s saved on some wheels will not make you faster or make life easier going up a hill. Riding up hills more often makes you faster up a hill and shedding some extra weight will help too. Squirting half the water out of your bottle before you hit the slope is cheaper than a new set of rims ;-)

Those Elites are more than fit for purpose.
  • vespario
    Sorry,

I know that I need to put more miles in my legs but appreciate the feedback. Very happy with the elites but looking for lighter winter wheels even if it just for the placebo affect. :-)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I use SLs in the summer and Fulcrum 7s in the winter and the 7s don't affect my performance, it's the weather conditions and road surface that hit my times, It's just harder work in the winter.
  • vespario wrote:
    Sorry,

I know that I need to put more miles in my legs but appreciate the feedback. Very happy with the elites but looking for lighter winter wheels even if it just for the placebo affect. :-)

Of course I agree with all of the above, if you get dropped, there is no wheel made of helium or aerogel that will change things round.
    You can buy lighter wheels, but they will barely survive one UK winter. To make wheels lighter than saying 1500 grams, one has to cut corners... smaller bearings and ineffective seals are common among those and so are aluminium nipples that seize within a few weeks if ridden on roads that have been salted
    left the forum March 2023
  • vespario
    Fair enough. Thanks for the advice. Will stick with the RS10s and hang on in there. Just need to man up and kep putting the miles in!
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Please don't apologize for asking a perfectly simple question.its the Muppets who continually answer the light weight wheel question with the loose weight answer who should be apologizing.

We all know about fitness and that wasn't your question.

You could check out a pair of prolite bracciano @ 1487g for 300 quid.
    Pop in some planet x titanium Q/R and some light innertubes and your shaving approximately 450g of your winter bike for about 340 quid.

Now that's a nice placebo effect :-)
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • john1967 wrote:
    Please don't apologize for asking a perfectly simple question.its the Muppets who continually answer the light weight wheel question with the loose weight answer who should be apologizing.

Pop in some planet x titanium Q/R and some light innertubes and your shaving approximately 450g of your winter bike for about 340 quid.

Not sure how giving the logical answer makes us muppets but hey, call me Kermit.
  • john1967
    john1967 wrote:

Not sure how giving the logical answer makes us muppets but hey, call me Kermit.

whats logical about an incorrect answer.Vespario was asking about light weight wheels not fitness.We all know that loosing weight is important for riding bikes and for hill climbing its extra important.But loosing weight of the bike is also an important part the equation and it can be done on a budget.
    The OP was requesting advice on loosing weight of the wheels thats why it was posted in the road buying advice section and not the training section.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    john1967 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

whats logical about an incorrect answer.Vespario was asking about light weight wheels not fitness.We all know that loosing weight is important for riding bikes and for hill climbing its extra important.But loosing weight of the bike is also an important part the equation and it can be done on a budget.
    The OP was requesting advice on loosing weight of the wheels thats why it was posted in the road buying advice section and not the training section.

The OP was implying that the RS10s were resulting in him being dropped on the hills as he was 'ok on the flat'. The advice that he received was to simply state that spending money on 'lightweight winter wheels' would not resolve the issue, which I took to be good advice rather than advice from muppets. Going out and blowing £300+ on a set of wheels (for which I wouldn't be recommending the Braccianos either) for winter riding is not going to be a panacea/help for hill-climbing.
  • vespario
    I should say that I know the wheels aren't the answer in the long run and ultimately it is a fitness issue. I don't seem to have the strength in my legs over distance. Not a Weight issue for me as I am quite slim and on a one off steep climb I am up there.

Have posted in the fitness thread.

Am also looking to upgrade my wheels and am interested in alternatives to the Prolite B's which have it great reviews. Any other ideas? Thanks
  • Check out Swiss side wheels. They have some good wheelsets at a decent price, I have a set of franc evo 2's and a friend has some Heidi's.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    These have to be one of the bargains of the year, strong, handbuilt 32 spoked top of the range hubs and rims.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Open-Pr ... 20ce66f63b
    Or these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Open-Pr ... 1e75a14921
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    just put the Mavics on the bike you are using = simples
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • john1967
    Take a look at the campagnola zondas on ribblecycles for 252 quid.
  • If one wishes to go faster on a budget. One should push harder on the pedals. :idea:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    john1967 wrote:

Hey! You don't get to choose which muppet you are. Miss Piggy! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bad_ash
    bad_ash Posts: 47
    vespario wrote:
    Looking for some lighter budget wheels for winter bike to help with longer hilly rides when I get dropped big time on lub runs. Am ok on the flat!

One thing that isn't clear is whether you get dropped on hills when using your summer bike?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I did 150miles last saturday in belgium on 1.9kg wheels they did not slow me down even when going up the insane hills. The 4 water bottles I was carrying, the two spare tubs, pitstop, inflator, 4 CO2 cartidges, multitool, the excess ammount of food did though. Oh and the big huge massive meal from the previous night that weighed on me too. You get the idea I went over prepared.

Seriously wheel weight make a difference but it is a marginal gains. Wheels alone will not save you and if if you did all the marginal gains it still won't they just give you an edge in a competative event.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    No disrespect, but a few g’s saved on some wheels will not make you faster or make life easier going up a hill. Riding up hills more often makes you faster up a hill and shedding some extra weight will help too. Squirting half the water out of your bottle before you hit the slope is cheaper than a new set of rims ;-)

Those Elites are more than fit for purpose.

^^^^^This

Very well put.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    There are 3 things to consider: weight, stiffness and cost. One of these will have to be a compromise.

If you really want some £300 wheels, get some Fulcrum Quattros. Otherwise use your Elites.

Really there are 4 things. If you get 32 spoke wheels, it will feel like you are dragging a parachute along.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • vespario
    Can't believe this got resurrected. Must be the Easter effect!
    FWIW I cycled more, started spinning during the winter and got faster.
    Let the RS10s see out somerset's wettest weather and bought some vision wheels for £130. Spin really nicely and stiffer than the RS10s.
    Now consign this thread to History - you muppets have a film to be promoting :shock:
  • I aint a bad climber at all, perhaps one of the quickest/strongest in our club...Change from the Allez with light weight wheels/kit/slicks, to the TriCross RS11/heavier kit/wide knobbies and I can still hold my own, whilst others wince, pootle and spin.

Problem is the guy on the bog standard Carrera, with zero upgrades (16sp) still beats me on most hills :roll: :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I aint a bad climber at all, perhaps one of the quickest/strongest in our club...Change from the Allez with light weight wheels/kit/slicks, to the TriCross RS11/heavier kit/wide knobbies and I can still hold my own, whilst others wince, pootle and spin.

Problem is the guy on the bog standard Carrera, with zero upgrades (16sp) still beats me on most hills :roll: :lol:

I, on the other hand, I am a whopping 15 seconds faster over 10 miles with the light 24 CX Ray spoked wheels with Corsa tubulars as compared to the heavy 36 DT comp ones with big Pave' tubulars... funnily enough it feels as if I am a lot faster, but I am not... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • I know it's all relative, but I don't understand the lack of love for RS10's? They are cheap and reasonably light, my Juicer came with a set and I've been pleasantly surprised with how they spin up and the quality of the bearings. Are these going to fall apart on me in the near future?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I aint a bad climber at all, perhaps one of the quickest/strongest in our club...Change from the Allez with light weight wheels/kit/slicks, to the TriCross RS11/heavier kit/wide knobbies and I can still hold my own, whilst others wince, pootle and spin.

I, on the other hand, I am a whopping 15 seconds faster over 10 miles with the light 24 CX Ray spoked wheels with Corsa tubulars as compared to the heavy 36 DT comp ones with big Pave' tubulars... funnily enough it feels as if I am a lot faster, but I am not... :roll:

I think what you describe is pretty much the norm. Everyone wants to believe that they are faster with fancy wheels but the reality of it turns out to be your 15 seconds. I'm also pretty sure that no one wants to admit, even to themselves, that buying the expensive, fancy wheels also only got them 15 seconds. :wink:
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    To quote Keith Bontrager:

"Strong. Light. Cheap.

Pick two"
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    I know the debate over lighter weight wheels vs. loosing personal weight has already taken place but fitness has also been mentioned. Personally I think the op. may achieve quicker, better and more long lasting results by spending money on gym sessions as opposed to wheels. However, I do also like the idea of buying better toys for the bike.
  • I know it's all relative, but I don't understand the lack of love for RS10's? They are cheap and reasonably light, my Juicer came with a set and I've been pleasantly surprised with how they spin up and the quality of the bearings. Are these going to fall apart on me in the near future?

£ to weight/quality I think they are a good choice. They are unlikely to fall apart.

The lack of love will be due there low price tag and looks.