Titanium bike recommendations sought.

Trikeman
Trikeman Posts: 151
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
though it has a long list of requirements, I am looking for a titanium frame/fork (or a complete bike) that will fulfil the the following. I'm used to Spesh Tarmac, Roubaix and Colnago road bikes but 'think' I want to get into Titanium. Must be;
1 Light,
2 Comfortable,
3 Sportive geometry (long distance rides),
4 Abillity to fit full mudguards (not race blades),
5 Excellent climber (stiff where needed),
6 Abillity to fit a rack,
7 Good company pedigree/back-up.
The reasons for the above is that I would like this bike to fulfil 'everything' (tall order I know) sportive rider, long distance rides, club runs, spot of commuting and generally an all year round bike.

Is there such a thing? does this exist? which would you recommend that could fit the bill - getting confused by all the company's claims - user recommendations are worth pages of manufacturers claims I believe.

Regards and thanks,

Trikeman. :wink:
With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
Sabbath September Ti.
Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.

Comments

• mozejo
    mozejo Posts: 115
    Not that I bought one because to spec it up where I wanted would have been horrendously expensive but I test rode a Qoroz which was unquestionably the most wonderful bike I have ever ridden
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Have a look at the Enigma Etape. It is built in the UK!
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/bike/bike-enigma-etape.html
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Have a look at Burls, I've just built one up for winter and it's lovely, they're custom built so you can have pretty much any geometry/style/extras you like, and the cost is much the same as an off the shelf frame from other makers.

http://www.burls.co.uk/index.php

CBH_3619e_zpsacfe58f8.jpg
  • Critch
    Critch Posts: 60
    Lynskey Sportive 2013 - Nuff said. :)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I agree with Flasher, the Burls frames are worth checking out. Saw one in the workshop of my LBS last week just about to be built up. Looked fantastic and just over a grand for a made to measure frame!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Dolan are a reputable name who make some good Titanium bikes
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Enigma

Tidy frames, with nice angles.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    enigma also have a sale on, i have just ordered an echo. really helpful and friendly and as others have said british which was a plus for me.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Trikeman
    Hi All,

MANY THANKS for your time and recommendations - what a list. I have to spend some time now looking at all the models. I really like the Enigma Etap - initially seems to tick all the boxes.

With one or two of the Ti models I could actually sell some of my bikes - I could have just one to cover most of what I do.

Oh' decisions...................

Again, a thousand thanks for taking your time to help.

Kind Regards,

Sabbath September Ti.
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    Another vote for Enigma. Absolutely love mine and spent weeks looking and test riding various models before purchasing.
  • The Lynskey made Planet X Sportive is amazing, very similar geometry to the roubaix crossed with a cervelo RS, but more fun, livelier and much more beautiful! Made in USA too, double butted titanium.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Yet another vote for Enigma. I have one of their steel frames, not a Ti, but the company is great to deal with, very knowledgable and passionate about turning out great bikes.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd be looking at the Planet X website or towards Genesis. Spa cycles also have an interesting looking Ti sportive bike.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Another +1 for Enigma, this is mine http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12867837
    I had it built in July last year and it's fantastic. I've since changed the tyres to Ultremo ZXs and have changed the stem to a Deda Servicio Corse.

The geometry and ride are great, it's not got the rack and mudguard mounts you require, but Enigma can do anything you require. I believe hat their Etape has avert thing you're after.

I looked at some Burls bikes at Bespoked Bristol last year when I was deciding which builder to go with, and wasn't overly impressed. There was a notable dip in the tubes at he welds on all his bikes there, this indicates excessive heat during welding and creates a slightly thinner section at the weld. Not ideal. This may not be representative of all of his work, but you'd have thought he'd show his best work at a show.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Trikeman
    Hi Matt,
    thanks for that - yours is a cracker for sure.

I too think the Enigma Etape is what I am looking for. Spent some of yesterday and today researching all the brands/models and the Etape does meet everything I am after. I have too many bikes, one for this, one for that, one for commuting etc etc etc. I think if I do get the Etape then basically I can have a slight cull here as that one should be able to do everything I want. I preferably want to get the frame/forks and build it with some of my existing gear, DA 7900 compact kit, my favourite wheels, saddle etc.
    Here's looking forward to the build.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience with Enigma.

Regards,

Sabbath September Ti.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Also check out Seven and Independent Fabrication