how easy is it to replace the hub bearings on my 2010 Focus

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Hi All,

the bearings are shot on my 2010 Focus Cayo.
i am hoping someone will be able to advise me on the best thing to do with it

I have popped it into my LBS 3 months ago to have a spoke replaced and he ssaid it was tired, he then relubed it for me as a temporary fix.

i have asked them to quote me, and they think approx £10 for the bearings and £20 fitting.
This seems like a fair plrice but i would like to know how to do it myself.
i also have a MTB that will need maintenance and i have been giving all my bikes to the LBS for a couple of years, so think its about time i did more myself.

I need to know which parts to instal, what else will need checking and the tools required.
I am pretty ok mechanically once i get into it, just a little lazy.

Also, my cables and BB30 will need attention soon, is there a haynes type manual for my particular bike?
it would be useful to know what parts to replace with what.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

matt

Comments

• ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    You don't say which bearings but I take it you mean rear wheel hub perhaps? You don't mention the type of wheel though? There is indeed a manual from Haynes, but not per model like there is for cars. You could search Amazon for it. My advice though, as you don't seem experienced and probably don't have the tools, would be to take it to your LBS as get them to do the work. The tools alone - bearing presses etc would cost far more than the labour;-)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the hubs use cartridge bearings (likely) they bearing replacement is a straightforward DIY job - certainly no need for bearing presses. If you google the hub model, you can probably find the bearing sizes online and order spares from ebay etc - cartridge bearings are £1 for cheap ones to £4 for decent ones. You'll probably find a youtube clip too. Typically for many OEM hubs, you need to remove the spindle end caps (either small allen key in side, or 5mm into either end of the spindle) and firmly strike the end of the spindle with a mallet which will dislodge one bearing. You can then drift out the bearing from the other end. Clean up the hub shell and grease the bearing seats. Placing the wheel on a firm, flat surface helps here - line up the new bearing and use a suitable size socket, piece of tube to press on the periphery of the bearing -lightly tap into place and check squareness - tapping and checking as you go until the bearing is snug in the hub shell. Grease and replace the spindle and fit the other bearing. Check that the spindle spins freely, reinstall end caps and you're good to go.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Thanks for your replies.
    It is a concept SL.
    Struggling to find a guide for bearing replacement for this model

Matt
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I've done a google search for you. Concept SL's are the rims, the hubs seem to be Shimano 105 or Tiagra but it's unclear from internet searches as I don't know what spec your bike is. If you look at the hubs, do they say Shimano? If so then just google how to service cup and cone bearings. Your LBS may have meant that the bearings were worn, or perhaps the bearing races? I think this really needs to be made clear and perhaps if you are going to do it yourself, get an experience friend to help the first time you do it.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    You can't replace the bearimngs on these I am afraid - a friend works at the factory (he's a composite material designer) and says that the only thing that you can do is replace them with some Obermayers - official factory line I am afraid.

A quirk of the wheel is that if you try and replace the bearings and not, as the factory suggests, replace them with Obermayers is that the shatter and tear your sphincter. So I'd go with the factory option, ie: Obermayers front and rear.

Sorry......
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    yossie-can you recommend the correct tool for replacing a torn sphincter?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Don't worry about the BB30 bearings, I've just replaced mine on my Izalco I was slightly worried after reading a few scare stories but I picked a set up from a local bearing supplier, I wellied the old ones out with a bit of wood(supported the BB though), then I just knocked the new ones in with the same piece of wood and they went in a treat, as long as you line them up and knock them in square there won't be an issue.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    yossie-can you recommend the correct tool for replacing a torn sphincter?

Tig welder and a small angle grinder to de-burr.

HTH

Y