British XC racers?

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    So it's all that bloody Brailsford's fault then - Knew he was dodgy! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    TimB34 wrote:
    . I guess they might get behind Gravity Enduro, as it'd have more grassroots UK appeal.

?

it's my understanding that they turned down a chance to run a series this year, i may be wrong though
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Annie Last is our best XC racer, Derbyshire born and bred.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Good contribution, think we ascertained that in the first couple of posts...
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    njee20 wrote:
    Good contribution, think we ascertained that in the first couple of posts...
    Really, really sorry, didn't see your earlier quote.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • j0sh123
    j0sh123 Posts: 21
    yes, I would definitely say its the lack of money surrounding the discipline, and also its not as thrilling/accessible to watch therefore doesn't appeal to the mass audience as much. XC events are also more difficult to organise due to costs and organisation of hiring land/marking out courses, whereas road is much easier to organise a route. In Europe I think the competitive mtb scene is generally larger and more supported, but probably still not as much as road.
    I guess its just easier and more profitable for BC to focus on road and track, which is a shame.
  • j0sh123 wrote:
    yes, I would definitely say its the lack of money surrounding the discipline, and also its not as thrilling/accessible to watch therefore doesn't appeal to the mass audience as much. XC events are also more difficult to organise due to costs and organisation of hiring land/marking out courses, whereas road is much easier to organise a route. In Europe I think the competitive mtb scene is generally larger and more supported, but probably still not as much as road.
    I guess its just easier and more profitable for BC to focus on road and track, which is a shame.
    Places like Switzerland XC is huge, bigger than road and other disciplines maybe because they have so many good atheletes. Kinda catch 22 with GB not having many good riders so less kids want to do it so less become good and so on etc
    Racing all over the UK, trying to win a few http://franciscycling.blogspot.co.uk/
  • ddraver
    Even in Holland, XC is supported well by the KNWU (Dutch equiv. to BC) - they seem to have the same success rate as XC racers as they do road though...

There are a decent amount of dedicated MTB clubs that run rides and club nights just as the road clubs do
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mountain and Holland is an oxymoron, surely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    I suspect that's part of the reason CD, no other option but to ride XC in Holland. Even 1hr 30 is too long to stop boredom creeping in...
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah, biggest hills are in the windows of the naughty bits of Amsterdam.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    I can tell you arent really interested, but most of the trails are on old landfill sites or coastal dunes. There are some more hills further south though...
    - @ddraver