Help sourcing freehub body PX model B

Bengdogg
Bengdogg Posts: 383
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Hi all,

The bearings in my planet x model B freehub are rough as anything and I either need a new body which is always out of stock at PX or to know if I can get the bearings replaced somehow inside the body. Cheapest option always the best as they are my winter road wheels so I don't want to have to chuck too much cash at them. I would also hate to just have to bin them due to a couple of bearings getting worn.

I know a fairly good spanner man who replaced the bearings in my PX 52mm hubs when they went (in under 100 miles). It would seem PX don't really support their products too well when it comes to spares as I tried to get a spare freehub body for the 52mm wheels them but after 3 months and many calls got nowhere & gave up. They don't seem to even list a body for them.

Thanks ;)
You just gotta peddle

Comments

• Isn't it a Novatec type A?

SDEALS have them
    left the forum March 2023
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    These fit.

Alternatively you can replace the bearings (exploded diagram here). The stock bearings in the freehub are a bit vulnerable to water ingress.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I haven't got the PX hubs, but as already mentioned they are probably Novatec hubs. If so the bearings can be pressed out. There are 2 of them both 6901-2rs (12mmx24mmx6mm). The inner bearing is secured by a circlip which must be removed before its pressed out. SKF bearings are a good choice.
  • Bengdogg
    Thanks for that! What I shall do is see if my mech wants to have a go at replacing the bearings as that's a job I don't really feel confident taking on. Failing that I shall drop on a new body from crc.

Thanks again!!!
    You just gotta peddle
  • Bengdogg
    I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a replacement hub for my px 52mm carbon clinchers should the need arise also? Px don't seem to stock them either and it is a little worrying.
    You just gotta peddle
  • Gurner
    Gurner Posts: 39
    A mate of mine had axle bearing issues with his model B hub and freehub bearing issues with their carbon clinchers. I managed to get him replacements online by searching by the internal and external race measurements. It was a good two years ago so don't have exact measurements but I seem to remember that they were the standard size used in Hope's hubs.
  • Bengdogg
    I have the bearings out of the 52mm clincher hub and axel somewhere and I did email myself the sizes and model of them somewhere.

I ordered the recommended body from CRC to see if it's right. They do free returns if it isn't. From the picture it looks spot on though, this is why I was wondering if the 52mm & 60mm clincher also use a well known hub. I would bet they do. Planet X take a lot of flak for being chinese sellers etc but I don't think that is the case as much as they don't have to charge for big branding. If I am honest the model B wheelset has been was more reliable than my american classic wheelset which I have destroyed two hubs on due to those dove tails that protect the hub body breaking in two. Luckily I got both warrantied
    You just gotta peddle
  • Bengdogg wrote:
    I have the bearings out of the 52mm clincher hub and axel somewhere and I did email myself the sizes and model of them somewhere.

I ordered the recommended body from CRC to see if it's right. They do free returns if it isn't. From the picture it looks spot on though, this is why I was wondering if the 52mm & 60mm clincher also use a well known hub. I would bet they do. Planet X take a lot of flak for being chinese sellers etc but I don't think that is the case as much as they don't have to charge for big branding. If I am honest the model B wheelset has been was more reliable than my american classic wheelset which I have destroyed two hubs on due to those dove tails that protect the hub body breaking in two. Luckily I got both warrantied
    Planet x hubs are Novatec
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bengdogg
    I don't suppose you know which one is in the 52mm & 60mm Carbon clincher??? It's different to the model B free hub. It is anodized red and can be removed with just on 5mm allen key, It only has 3 pawls and goes click a lot when it spins :D Sorry if that's a bit vague. I can get a picture up at some point if thats helpful and I can get accurate measurements too
    You just gotta peddle
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I got mine from Bdop. Top service. Apparently the Model B is Novatec F162SB which takes the Type A freehub.
    More problems but still living....
  • desweller
    That's what Ugo said at the beginning!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bengdogg
    Thanks for the link, saving that! I would say B1 looks like the 52mm cl hub. I will cross that bridge when I come to it though. Just happy they are supported as the guys at px never came back with the availability of a spare.
    You just gotta peddle
  • Bengdogg
    I have bought the hub for the model B from crc, but like the idea of the anti bite guard on the new link.
    You just gotta peddle
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    DesWeller wrote:
    That's what Ugo said at the beginning!

He didn't even seem sure it was an A type and I must have missed where he said what hub the Model B uses and that you can get them from Bdop.
    More problems but still living....
  • Bengdogg
    Either way guys I am grateful for all the good help you have all given in this thread. I have been introduced to 2 new websites that are worth saving and think I have the right item coming my way in the next few days. You guys rule!!!! 8)
    You just gotta peddle
  • desweller
    I've got one of the ABG freehub bodies but haven't tried it yet. Looks smart; bearings feel a bit 'snaggy' though so I'm pondering whether or not to replace them straight away...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Hi all, I also have PX model B wheels and, just like the OP, the bearings are going...

I remembered I had some unused bearings in my spares box and it turns out they're the right ones for the job (6901 2rs- Thanks jermas). Apparently I bought them in 2007, for who knows what (maybe for some Ambrosio wheels). Finally, it's paid off to hang onto random bike stuff! Vindicated. After, er, 6 years.

Hope the grease in them hasn't turned to chutney, mind. That stuff probably doesn't improve with age, eh?

ps similar thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12753692
  • Bengdogg
    The freehub body arrived today and was perfect. One thing I noticed when cleaning the wheel is the hub is stamped 24 for the holes and does have an A on the body which would be for type A so easy when you peice it all together.

Now back to the 52mm carbon clincher hub http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengdogg/s ... 425537912/

Looks like this. No stamps or markings anywhere on the hub body but the hub body does have some writing that I have pictured for your eyes only. Any help identifying this hub body appreciated 8)
    You just gotta peddle
  • desweller
    I reckon it's one of these or made by the same firm.

http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid=74&tid=75&p_no=300

Good luck getting spares though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    I'm pretty sure I have a brand new PX Model B freehub somewhere, my rim split so it went for spoke spares. Make me an offer (if I can find it !!)

Mick
  • Found it (or a rebranded version anyway):

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/bikeparts/Hubs/0508106S

Googled 'red hub body' (images)

Website is in the States though.
  • Bengdogg
    Damn! Your good! Thats deffo the one. Cheers for that. I am now trying to find out who makes those hubs off a bit of googleing to get to the source. Either way at least I have piece of mind knowing spares are available even if it's from over seas
    You just gotta peddle
  • Bengdogg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengdogg/8341774463/

Cho & Sen make Chosen :shock: http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid= ... 5&p_no=300

Obvious now I see it. I would not be much use as a tomb raider
    You just gotta peddle
  • D'oh, I hadn't spotted the Cho-Sen thing either!

I'm adding the name on the US site to my list of silly-named bike bits, though: 'BikeHard Challenger C1' indeed.
  • Bengdogg
    Lol every thing I do is hard not just biking.

The actual model of body is http://www.chosen-hubs.com/pro.php?sid= ... 5&p_no=302

Never heard of them but even more googling suggests they make stans freehubs and Zipps too. Can't be bad....
    You just gotta peddle