New Sky 2013 kit photo's

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    ddraver wrote:
    What's the confusion

People really really want to believe Sky are evil incarnate...

Rapha and Sky, the axis of evil?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:
    What's the confusion

People really really want to believe Sky are evil incarnate...

Rapha and Sky, the axis of evil?

No, Rapha ok. Sky evil.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Carl_P wrote:
    Indeed it is and has no Rapha logo on the front, otherthan a barely noticeable one on the collar.

The Rapha logo is on the blue band on the sleeve

If you want more Rapha, I've found you one:
    http://www.rapha.cc/long-sleeve-pro-team-jersey

Funny thing is, I cant see much Rapha branding on it. As a non-Rapha person in general, am I missing it in the pics?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    on some of the rapha jerseys (like my long sleeve) the logo is on the coloured section of the sleeve.
  • mroli wrote:
    So either the pro's are racing with *inferior* gloves to the ones I as a woman non-pro can buy or someone's put them on the wrong section of the website. 'Tis confusing. The ones on the mens' pro-race section are not the one's the pro's are wearing in all the pictures.
    Just because something is more expensive, doesn't mean that it is "superior"

Hence why I put the word *inferior*, like so. Oh never mind.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... kit/247494

first chance i get to log on and after four pages i am amazed that nobody has started whip rounds for the bernie eisel sports jacket...

It all looks pretty nice stuff, and i think Rapha will clean up with this. Not sure I would want the fan boy look myself, though it would look good on the back seat of the audi with the golf sticks!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Yeah, not the biggest Rapha fan or Sky kit fan but fair play for them for selling the actual (probably) pro jersey and a fairly decently priced one for the fat lads.

Still wouldn't buy it though, it's black and I value my life. At least the white back on the old one was something to stand out a bit.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    prawny wrote:
    Yeah, not the biggest Rapha fan or Sky kit fan but fair play for them for selling the actual (probably) pro jersey and a fairly decently priced one for the fat lads.

Still wouldn't buy it though, it's black and I value my life. At least the white back on the old one was something to stand out a bit.

black is fine in the summer for visibility.. can get a bit hot though!
  • Wasn't the old Adidas kit all black/blue originally, but then they decided it would be too hot and a white panel was added?
  • I can assure you those Pro Team mitts are anything but 'basic' btw. Said it on another thread but they are IMO the best mitts you can buy. I've tried many a mitt over the years from cheap and cheerful to the stuff from the other big boys and none are a patch on the PT's.

For £120 they would need to be automated (If you know what I mean :wink: )

The Grand Tour gloves are £120 and they've never appealed to me, but the Pro Team mitts are the £50 jobs and an illustration on the website for now. Same gloves the RCS lot have been using for several years and the same palm as the more expensive gloves. Rapha ran the line of white and black pairs out and haven't restocked due to a material issue (man in a pb told me this). I bought one pair, fell in love with them and then bagged a couple of extra pairs for £25 in each in a sale. They're honestly boss.
  • Looks like Rapha have hit the mark, I don't remember this much interest in the kit when the team was launched back in 2010!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    £120 for a pair of mitts?! :lol:
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I like it!

Nice to see sone design going into a kit. It will be massive - not that I will wear it.
  • Yip, I'll never wear it either but it looks great. The attention to detail is classic Rapha.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    anyone owned rapha jeans.

If so whats the fit like and how do they match up to jeans at same price point?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Oh my this thread is still rampaging. 9 pages on one team's kit. Wow.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385

They look so much darker and edgier, they like all about the ride and the pain.

Oh and American Dentists will want to Do you...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

They look so much darker and edgier, they like all about the ride and the pain.

Oh and American Dentists will want to Do you...[/quote]

Will certainly want to give you a filling :)

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013

Well, how many kits' websites crash under the weight of the volume of traffic hitting them to look at a new line? This campaign and the reaction to it, is clearly the biggest thing to have broken in the wonderful world of kit-age

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/cyc ... 648490.ece
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Those gt mitts are lovely but too rich for me..supposedly Boonen bought a pair when they first launched
    M.Rushton
  • 'Have to say the kit, skinsuit and all, looked the biz on Pete Kennaugh at Revolution last night from the photos knocking around

Piece in Sunday Times today on Rapha's deal with Sky. Best bit of understatement I've read in a while: 'he (Simon Mottram) hopes Team Sky's mainstream exposure will help to "sell a lot more products"

Kerching!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,569
    Certainly run by some very smart people.

Didn't they get a big dose of private equity money in 2012??

Looks like they're putting the money to smart use.
  • Certainly run by some very smart people.

12 individual investors, Mottram biggest share at 20%. Sales £13m in 2011, posting not far off 18m for '12. Yeah, smart guy, smart team
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Certainly run by some very smart people.

12 individual investors, Mottram biggest share at 20%. Sales £13m in 2011, posting not far off 18m for '12. Yeah, smart guy, smart team

Out of interest, where did you get these figures from? Due to their size they only published abbreviated accounts at companies house for the YE Jan 2012, though with the way they are growing one imaginations they will soon have to publish full accounts.

Net asset value has certainly grown pretty fast.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • STimes article...'on course to reach almost £18m for 2012'
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    peter kennaugh in his new skinsuit at last nights revolution 39 at the manchester velodrome.

P1058288.jpg

P1058278.jpg

P1058276.jpg

P1058275.jpg

P1058274.jpg

P1058273.jpg

P1058270.jpg
  • big p wrote:
    P1058276.jpg

I think ultimately I don't like it as much as the previous kit with the white back. :cry:

I'll stick with my 2010 kit.
  • I like the look of those Nike shoes.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232

Not surprising really. They are masters of marketing.

This makes interesting reading: http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/Case-studies/Rapha/
    Mottram wrote:
    "Our participation in cycle sport events is a key part of our marketing[...]"
    Mottram wrote:
    "Our marketing expenditure is actually very high, around 20 percent of turnover[...]"
    Scheybeler wrote:
    "Producing the magazine was a logical extension of our marketing approach[...]"

The entire article demonstrates a thread of brand identity and a contiguous marketing strategy that consciously underpins all aspects of the organisation. Hardly surprising looking at the backgrounds of the founders. They're not cycling guys or fashion design guys. They marketing and marketing design guys.
    Its founders come from the marketing and design sector