Thinking Claud Butler Roubaix

Droyus
Droyus Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum. :-)

I am looking at buying my first road bike. I'm not a beginner rider. I have been riding for over a year on a mountain bike which I put slicks on. As you have probably gathered form the subject of my post I am thinking of buying a 2012 Claud Butler Roubaix. Its one I really have my heart set on and is in my price range. personally I think its good value for money considering your getting carbon forks too.
I plan on changing and upgrading some of the parts eventually as well. You may ask why not get more of an expensive bike? Well I just don't have that extra cash floating around and I want to add new parts too it as well so I can get a better understanding of the mechanics.

Any feedback is grateful positive or negative :) for a start I have already weighed up some pro's and Cons I'm getting Sora shifters instead of Tiagra.

Comments

• Nothing against this particular model, but I wish they stopped calling Roubaix frames that have to be ditched after being professionally ridden in that race... Some are not even the PRO choice for Paris-Roubaix
    left the forum March 2023
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    Go for a test ride at the nearest bike shop that has stock. Test ride a few others at that sort of price too, and also if you do purchase make sure you get it fitted :)
  • I have the 2009 model of the Claud Butler Roubaix. it has a triple chainset and is Sora throughout. I've done many CTC and Audax rides of up to 300km on it with no problems. I changed the saddle to a Brooks B17 narrow and tyres to Vittoria Rubino. Great bike for the money, it's done everything I wanted with it. I may upgrade the drivetrain but only through wear as the Sora has been good enough. As far as I'm concerned you don't need to spend big to enjoy your cycling.
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).