Freewheel to fixed

toasted whippet
toasted whippet Posts: 49
edited December 2012 in Workshop
I have a Campagnolo disc wheel with a screw-on freewheel. I was told when I bought it years ago that it was an easy conversion to a track wheel, but don't recall how this is done. I think an adaptor is needed rather than just screwing on a sprocket. Can anyone advise please?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Simply unscrew the freewheel (you'll need the right tool) and replace with a fixed gear sprocket and lockring. You can get some fixed gear sprockets that use a splined carrier (e.g. Miche) and sprockets are easier to change by removing the lockring. A decent chainwhip and lockring tool are essential if this is a regular job.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    there might not be a reverse threaded lock-ring thread if it is a road screw on freewheel...
    if you are only going to use it on the track, then running without a lockring is ok, but on the road it is known as a suicide hub, as if one were to skid, you could spin the fixed hub off.... but this is unlikely to happen on a track as one is not skidding and the tightening force is normally greater than the braking force. :wink:
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    if you use a threaded sprocket, then the lockring is optional, but the splined miche sprocket carrier than monty mentions needs a lock-ring
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I can't imagine that Campagnolo would produce a disc wheel for a screw-on sprocket that didn't have a lockring thread, particularly as it was likely designed for track use. I'd suggest that riding a fixed sprocket without a lockring is asking for trouble for the unwary.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..