2013 - Wiggins big choices

Comments

• morstar wrote:
    Winning all those early races last year was about Brad (and the team) becoming familiar with the pressures attached to being race leader prior to the main objective. They are doing a similar thing with Froome this year whereas Brad just needs to balance quality training and some (but much less) serious racing miles.

I think there was also a leadership battle going on. If Wiggins hadn't have won all those races before the Tour, they probably would have ridden for Cavendish a bit more than they did.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited April 2013
    If it makes you happier, call it getting form to the point that gives him the maximum possibility of winning the chuffing races...And surely just because you're successful in getting it right one year, it doesnt guarantee that you'll be able to replicate it every year thereafter without fail- there are only so many non-variables..

*thinks of turning to some class B after the stress of this morning*

Blimey! Calm down there...
    I have no idea if Sky will win anything other than Paris Nice this year. They got it right last year by doing things a bit differently, but as their cobbled classics squad has shown this year, their approach doesn't always work. For what it's worth, Froome seems on course to be good for the Tour, but I don't think anyone has any idea how good Wiggins will be at the Giro.

Its been a bad morning - left brain at home...

EDIT:
    talking of class B, that occasional poster in the Asylum, ex-pro Darryl Webster, has been a naughty fella...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/392225 ... g-cannabis
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    maybe sky just want to keep people guessing?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It's quite a brave move from Sky and Wiggins. Even though the competition is not as tough at the Giro, the stages are much harder, even than this years more mountainous Tour. Hopefully Garmin and Astana will work hard to isolate Wiggins on the tougher stages and take him out of his comfort zone a bit, won't be easy though as even though Wiggins is not a natural mountain goat, I still think he's a better climber than Nibali, and there aren't many stages were Nibali can use his descending prowess to try and get away.

It has a chance of being a classic edition, with diesel Wiggins battling the attacking chancers, without such a strong team as he had in the 2012 Tour. We may even see a more aggressive Wiggins, which we saw flashes of in Catalunya.

Fingers crossed.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    It's quite a brave move from Sky and Wiggins. Even though the competition is not as tough at the Giro, the stages are much harder, even than this years more mountainous Tour. Hopefully Garmin and Astana will work hard to isolate Wiggins on the tougher stages and take him out of his comfort zone a bit, won't be easy though as even though Wiggins is not a natural mountain goat, I still think he's a better climber than Nibali, and there aren't many stages were Nibali can use his descending prowess to try and get away.

It has a chance of being a classic edition, with diesel Wiggins battling the attacking chancers, without such a strong team as he had in the 2012 Tour. We may even see a more aggressive Wiggins, which we saw flashes of in Catalunya.

Fingers crossed.

*IGNORE*
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    To be fair. Wiggins has proven to be a better climber then Nibali whenever they have been at the same races over the last few years. It's not really worth comparing them.

Course this is the time it all changes *facepalm*
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Froome was saying that he expects Wiggins to be the last Sky rider to remain with him in the Tour climbs. Now as Wiggins has no Froomer with him in the Giro - is the expection that there is no Sky rider in the squad who will be able to stay with him when it gets really tough - ie unlike the 2012 Tour, will Wiggo end up on his own?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Kirienka and Porte. Kirienka being the replacement for Rogers. Porte is stepping up nicely to replace Froome as the super domestique for the grand tours. a number of their less well known robots will take turns in crushing the life out of the peleton on the climbs..... EBH? Stannard?
  • Richmond Racer
    Daz555 wrote:
    Froome was saying that he expects Wiggins to be the last Sky rider to remain with him in the Tour climbs. Now as Wiggins has no Froomer with him in the Giro - is the expection that there is no Sky rider in the squad who will be able to stay with him when it gets really tough - ie unlike the 2012 Tour, will Wiggo end up on his own?

Nope. Kiry and Uran will probably be his last 2 lieutenants (Uran did this for him at Catalunya)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Is Sergio down to ride the Giro?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Richmond Racer
    rubertoe wrote:
    Is Sergio down to ride the Giro?

Brailsford's announcing the Giro and Tour teams in the next few days.

The Comic's made what I reckon is a pretty good shot at guessing the squads, based on what they've gleaned from Sky and from the riders themselves:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ation.html
  • inkyfingers

Fingers crossed.

*IGNORE*

Missed this, what's up laddie?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Henao was certainly down for Giro and Vuelta; not sure why that would have changed, unless they're concerned the Tour squad is looking thin. Wiggins, Cataldo, Uran, Kiryienka, Siutsou, Kennaugh, Henao/Lopez, Zandio/Knees/Pate. Every bit as strong as his 2012 Tour team imo.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It could even be better than the 2012 Tour team to be honest. With the addition of Kiriyenka, Lopez, and Cataldo plus the maturing of Henao I'd say it's a stronger team. Remember the 2012 team had Eisel and Cav in it.
  • Richmond Racer
    Milton50 wrote:
    It could even be better than the 2012 Tour team to be honest. With the addition of Kiriyenka, Lopez, and Cataldo plus the maturing of Henao I'd say it's a stronger team. Remember the 2012 team had Eisel and Cav in it.

Eisel will be in the Tour team, if my money's good. Needed for the first few days when things tend to be a bit shaky, and he's pretty invaluable as a road captain. He might not be a mountain goat but he was usually in the gruppetto cos he was having to nanny Cav.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_mlga2bQLoz1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    nice one FF
  • inkyfingers
    That's a bit freaky Frenchie.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Frenchie that just looks wrong on so many levels
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Sky Giro squad announced: http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 98,00.html

Bradley Wiggins
    Dario Cataldo
    Sergio Henao
    Christian Knees
    Danny Pate
    Salvatore Puccio
    Kanstantsin Siutsou
    Rigoberto Urán
    Xabier Zandio
  • inkyfingers
    See, they listened to what I said about putting another top climber into the squad.
  • Turfle
    Little bit different than we thought. Very strong.

Glad to see Puccio get a ride.
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Disappointing not to see Peter K in that squad. I will be interested to know if they see him as part of the tour squad or if he will get a token GT ride at the Vuelta
  • Turfle
    Disappointing not to see Peter K in that squad. I will be interested to know if they see him as part of the tour squad or if he will get a token GT ride at the Vuelta

Just last week Brailsford said he was riding it, so not sure what changed. He looked in great form today at Romandie.

Personally I hope he gets to ride a little for himself in races like (looking at the Sky schedule) Route du Sud, Osterreich Rundfahrt, Vuelta a Burgos, then maybe ride the Vuelta in support of whoever.
  • Richmond Racer
    I wouldnt be surprised if Sky are lining lil' Pete up to lead a smallish stage race...he's supposed to be going very well at the moment. And his GT debut gets moved to the Vuelta...
  • inkyfingers
    I wouldnt be surprised if Sky are lining lil' Pete up to lead a smallish stage race...he's supposed to be going very well at the moment. And his GT debut gets moved to the Vuelta...

Kennaugh has ridden the Giro before.

He's got to start delivering on the hype at some point.
  • Richmond Racer
    Turfle wrote:
    Little bit different than we thought. Very strong.

Glad to see Puccio get a ride.

Will make Sky Italia very happy with 2 Italians in the squad
  • Richmond Racer

Kennaugh has ridden the Giro before.

He's got to start delivering on the hype at some point.

So he has. I forget how much he's done, with all the to'ing and fro'ing between track and road
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Ouch - that IS a strong team:

Bradley Wiggins - TDF 2012 - 1
    Dario Cataldo - Giro 2012 - 12
    Sergio Henao - Giro 2012 - 9
    Christian Knees - Wiggins' bike swap man
    Danny Pate - Domestique duties
    Salvatore Puccio - Token young lad
    Kanstantsin Siutsou - Giro 2011 - 9
    Rigoberto Urán - Giro 2012 - 7
    Xabier Zandio - Domestique Duties

So "core" Tour team is:

Froome
    Porte
    Wiggins
    Lopez
    Kiriyenka
    Eddy Boss
  • Richmond Racer
    mroli wrote:
    Ouch - that IS a strong team:

Bradley Wiggins - TDF 2012 - 1
    Dario Cataldo - Giro 2012 - 12
    Sergio Henao - Giro 2012 - 9
    Christian Knees - Wiggins' bike swap man
    Danny Pate - Domestique duties
    Salvatore Puccio - Token young lad
    Kanstantsin Siutsou - Giro 2011 - 9
    Rigoberto Urán - Giro 2012 - 7
    Xabier Zandio - Domestique Duties

So "core" Tour team is:

Froome
    Porte
    Wiggins
    Lopez
    Kiriyenka
    Eddy Boss

Plus G. And I'll be gob-smacked if Bernie's not picked, invaluable experience riding the Tour, and necessary for the skittish first few days.