Bike selection advice please!

LycraVirgin
LycraVirgin Posts: 55
edited December 2012 in Road beginners
I would appreciate some advice on selecting a road bike. I have some knowledge of mountain bikes but don’t know a lot about road bikes. I’m looking to spend a maximum of £1000 including clipless pedals and shoes.
I have been offered an ex-hire bike with low mileage ( 2012 BH Zaphir with Shimano 105 Groupset) for £600 without pedals. My main niggle is does this represent good value for money? Would I be better off buying discontinued stock brand new? Is the BH Zaphir a good model? How does it compare to the Merida Ride? What other models could I consider in this price bracket?
I’m not overly concerned with weight as I will only be racing myself and would take preference for strength and durability. Good value for money appeals and in particular discontinued stock. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    hi,no idea about the zaphir but with your budget you have a big selection to chhose from.Giants defy 2 is a great bike and will leave you change for shoes and peddles.Also have a look at ribble and planet x as you can get carbon within budget.
    Which ever you decide on its important to make sure it fits you properly and utube has many vids to explain this.
    Pop into bike shops and try as many as you can.
    good luck in your search.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Like elderone I've never heard of BH so I can't comment on them. But I know I wouldn't buy an ex hire bike personally, you never know how much wear it's had and how long would the warranty be?

Cycling+ magazine did a feature in the summer Best Road Bikes Under £1000 which is where I would start.

You are buying at the right time of year to get one of those, brand new, 2012 model, at a huge discount.

But the most important thing is to buy a bike that is the right size for you. So get down to your local bike shops and sit on several. They should have a turbo trainer in store for you to be able try them for size for an extended period. Ask them if you can take 1 or 2 out for a test ride, more than just around the car park. If you are unsure search the Internet for bike fitting.
  • Thanks for your comments. I’m actually in Spain until March and BH are manufactured here so I guess this is why the shop is pushing them. I have found one review for the Zaphir from the US which was very positive but it would be nice to hear from someone experienced who owns one. Interestingly I have found a brand new 2012 Zaphir online for £600 or £660 with pedals and computer so the ex-hire is looking like poor value.
    It’s a little frustrating as Ideally I would like to buy in the UK from a large shop with a lot of choice and sound advice . Buying online seems to be the place for a bargain but as you point out the most important thing is the fit. The money is burning a hole in my pocket and I don’t want to miss out on a potential January sale bargain.