Front Derailer not changing gears

noku85
noku85 Posts: 6
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

First time posting so bear with me.

I have had my road bike (Mekk Pogio 2G) for about 3 months now. Had the usual issues punctures etc.

However today on my return commute I noticed that my bike would not shift down from the top chain ring. When I got home I check the cable was not split etc. However I did notice that when I attempt to change down the cable becomes loose along the frame but after it passes through the frame it is still tight. I can pull it through but it doesn't aid the gear changing. I also noticed a black housing as the cable comes through the frame sticking out about an inch and a half.

My question is. Is this housing normal or is it something that has pulled through the frame?

What can I do to try and repair this? Am I best just taking it into a shop. Chevin Cycles is not too far from me and is where I bought it from.

Comments

• https://twitter.com/Noku85/status/28440 ... 12/photo/1

Image of black piece described above
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Try cleaning it and see if that improves things. Likely to be full of grit, or you may have a small kink in cable...
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    That's normal but it's a really common place for the cable to get gummed up at this time of year and that makes sense from what you describe. The shifter is doing what it should but the cable tension isn't releasing.

You need to remove the cable and clean out the outer - a good squirt through with something like WD40 should do it. Then put the cable back in and connect it up and it should be fine.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Cheers,

I'll give those a try tomorrow. Its amazing how filthy the bike gets from just 1 ride. I seem to spend nearly as much time cleaning the bike as I do riding it at the minute.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've found front mechs to be a bit lacking in grease out of the box. While you've got the cable off it's worth checking that the movement of the derailleur to be free and smooth. If it's not then you'll need to do a bit of work on it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    noku85 wrote:
    Its amazing how filthy the bike gets from just 1 ride. I seem to spend nearly as much time cleaning the bike as I do riding it at the minute.

Are you using mudguards? At this time of year, they make a big difference to how mucky the bike gets.
  • Yes, I have sks race blades. They do help but the Roads are filthy.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Had this problem a few weeks ago, physically shift the derailer so it eases up again, give it a good clean and then lube it up.

Good as new.
  • noku85
    noku85 Posts: 6
    Thanks. I managed to get it all sorted. Just needed a good scrub and a little live. Better than before so I'm happy with that. Gonna us my mtb for my commute until the Roads are better though. Save my road for the weekends and turbo training.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    DesWeller wrote:
    I've found front mechs to be a bit lacking in grease out of the box. While you've got the cable off it's worth checking that the movement of the derailleur to be free and smooth. If it's not then you'll need to do a bit of work on it.

I've been having problems with my front mech and I noticed that it didn't seem properly lubricated. I was going to use GT85 but seeing your post made me wonder whether I should be using grease instead.

Does it have to be any particular type of grease? All I have is a tube of lithium grease and I don't know whether that is OK.