Adding bolt holes for 2nd bottle cage?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited December 2012 in Workshop
Hi

I picked up a cheap steel frame and it only has one set of bolt holes for a drinks holder. What can you do to add a 2nd holder?

Cheers

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited December 2012
    Halfords do a second set of mountable holes that are held on via a cable tie. Can also buy clamp on ones, such as the ones made by DMR (actually designed for mounting a chain retention device on the side of the downtube but two can be placed above each other and rotated around for the screw holes to point forwards).

Can also buy stuff like this.

sku_69273_1.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!nwE9emDpB(cBPjqyNNk9!~~60_3.JPG
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Strip of rubber (e.g. old innertube) under the bottle holder and cable tie it into place?
  • Bwgan
    Cheers guys
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I spent a bit of money on a rivnut tool, internal deburr tool and fitted my own bosses. That was in aluminium. A year later, so far so good.

I only need the flimsiest of excuses to drop cash on tools though, you may not be as inclined to do so!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bwgan
    Had a quick look on flea bay and they vary from £12 up to £100+. What did you pay
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I bought this'n. Does the job; Tooled Up are not usually particularly cheap so you might find better for less elsewhere. You get a few rivnuts with it IIRC.

If you do go down this route make sure you fully understand how the tool works; you don't just pull the handle fully home as you would with a rivet gun.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bwgan
    Cool, cheers for that. I do like the idea of a permanent fixture. Where do you live lol
  • Hi, I have got some rawlnuts which would work. They are essentially rubber top hat shaped bodies with a metal threaded core. You drill an oversize hole & push the rawlnut into the hole upto the shoulder of the rubber, which stops it going completely into the hole. Insert the supplied screw, which I think is M5. Tighten the screw, which expands the rubber as the metal core is pulled towards the screw.
    Easy peasy!
    I have used them to secure items to the fiberglass of I boat I owned. They are also used on aircraft for securing light items like trim to secondary structure.
    If you are interested let me know & I'll pop a couple in the post.

exercise.png