Wiggle "Sale"???

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Just went to look on Wiggle at a Campag Chorus chainset I almost bought a few days ago (before their sale started). It is now effectively £90 more. Seems like they have stuck the prices up on plenty of stuff and aren't running vouchers. Call that a sale?!

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I was looking at a Santini jacket at Ribble that was £99 at the beginning of the week, Email today about the sale and there's 20% off the jacket .....£104!
    We all know the way they play it but it's almost comical.
  • I can wait...
  • I noticed loads of items suddenly having a price rise rather than reduction too.
    Lighting previously 40% off, now only 30% off.
    Drivetrain previously 40% off, now only 30% off.

I think some retailers like Wiggle prey on those who buy sale items thinking they are getting a bargain. I'm sure there's a psychological term for it?
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    I think some retailers like Wiggle prey on those who buy sale items thinking they are getting a bargain. I'm sure there's a psychological term for it?

Gullible?
    Mañana
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    pb21 wrote:

Gullible?

I was thinking more like 'Robin Bar Stewards'
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Have to agree, the prices seemed better last week when they were doing all that 12 and 15% off malarkey
  • I just priced some components up at Wiggle, CRC and Ribble.

Ribble were £20 than both of the others (basket cost £90 at Ribble compared to £110 at others). I think people get drawn in with their emails and marketing and think their getting a great deal.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • this tactics is common tho. I think the pre-pre-xmas sales where you get good bargains as they are trying to grab shoppers during the lean months. but the pre-xmas sale is usually crap. This doesn't just apply to wiggle, but almost all the high street shops from fashion to department stores.

legally they are still discounting but just not as heavily as it was a month ago cos they know there will be demand ;)
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • Exactly the same happens with Homebase when they have 10/15% off weekends! :?

I was tracking the price of the Keter plastic storage unit & it went up & down in price to near enough reflect the % off price.

i.e. when there was no sale they were £100, on 15% off weekend they went up to £120, on 10% off weekend they were priced at £115!! :roll:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Wiggle price hike more like. I can't believe how cynical they are to call a sale and then stick prices up massively.
    I ordered a set of tyres on Weds - £27.50. Now £41.24
    I almost bought a Campag Chorus crankset too - £220 with discount. Now £309! The reason I didn't at the time was it the basket price crept up whilst I was thinking about it.

So, from my limited basket, pre sale prices were %40 lower. Pile in....
  • Hi Guys excuse the spam we have a few products in our sale now, nothing like the range of Wiggle etc, but all genuine reductions

Any queries please feel free to get in touch

www.vanillabikes.com
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Think I got one over on them this week, bryton rider 35 GPS with cadence and HR monitor for £110 ( with their 12% discount). It was listed with RRP of £180, now listed RRP of £209 and price of £165.
  • Teebs_123 wrote:
    I just priced some components up at Wiggle, CRC and Ribble.

Ribble were £20 than both of the others (basket cost £90 at Ribble compared to £110 at others). I think people get drawn in with their emails and marketing and think their getting a great deal.

I ordered a Cateye Nano front light & Cateye cadence computer from Ribble on Thursday at 11pm. My basket was £25 cheaper than everyone else, and free delivery. It arrived this morning. Can't say fairer than that!

I blame Wiggle!! :D
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hi Guys excuse the spam we have a few products in our sale now, nothing like the range of Wiggle etc, but all genuine reductions

http://www.vanillabikes.com
    I can personally vouch for Kevin's service. If they have what you are looking for, give him a call!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hi Guys excuse the spam we have a few products in our sale now, nothing like the range of Wiggle etc, but all genuine reductions

http://www.vanillabikes.com
    No, this isn't spam, just a blatant plug! shame on you ...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just be aware that "Halfrauds" are at the same game. Just received an email with "Web Exclusive" discounts if you order today.

Had been pricing the Thule 591 bike carrier over the weekend just gone - £82.95 in Halfords yesterday.

Today they are offering a wonderful 10% web exclusive discount and what do you know the retail price is now £91.99 so with the discount you end up saving 16p on the price posted yesterday.

Thanks a bunch Halfords.

Just thought I'd warn others in case they were tempted on bike related bits.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Sorry guys, but I think you are moaning about nothing here. We are lucky enough to get good prices all year round so don't have to buy in some fake winter sale. The sales always used to be about shops shifting old stock, not giving massive bargains on stuff they shift all year round.