Seven Deadly Sins

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Do you mean the highest peaks on each continent? Then no. It's a rather arbitrary list anyway. Only three of the seven are really worth the effort,in my opinion anyway. Have climbed a few of the 4 thousanders in the Alps and a lot of Scottish winter routes.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Shiny -- how high up have you gone?

Garry -- which three?
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    What do you think of this guy -- Alex Honnold?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR1jwwagtaQ
  • Garry H
    Bakunin wrote:
    Shiny -- how high up have you gone?

Garry -- which three?

Everest, Aconcagua and Denali.

Depending on your definition of "Europe", I may have summited one,Mont Blanc.
  • Garry H
    Bakunin wrote:
    What do you think of this guy -- Alex Honnold?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR1jwwagtaQ

Not bad, but what's he done on granite? Sorry, in joke.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I thougt we were talking about a book.....
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Garry H wrote:
    Not bad, but what's he done on granite?
    :lol:

Personally of the 7 I've summited Kili 5895m. I've also summited mt blanc and a few other alpine peaks. My one visit to the Himalayas I got sick and didn't make it above 5000m.
  • Garry H
    pat1cp wrote:
    I thougt we were talking about a book.....

We were but that's the internet for you...

Wasn't going to bother wit it to be honest, for the reasons you mentioned,but will probably give it a shot now.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Climbed Baggy Point in North Devon. Shat meself.

I worked with Leo Houlding (at the time, the golden boy of British climbing) and his mates when he was coming back from a smashed bone in his foot whilst climbing in the Andes: I expected a load of monk-like characters who worshipped their bodies like a temple, etc, and were very serious in their singleminded approach to their passion (a bit like I imagined cyclists being)... Oh how I was wrong.

Another favourable comparison to cyclists is that it's a sport to some, a pastime to some, a means of getting from A-B for some and a way of life to some - and as others mentioned the power to weight thing is massively important (but at least the guys get to look like the conventional version of "real men" with a muscular upper body rather than the ridiculous bodies cyclists have).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was into climbing in my youth, I did a lot of cycling from Glasgow to ride out to the crags, Trossach etc and would occassionally meet-up with cycling clubs on my way out and back. I lost a few friends in climbing accidents as well as succumbing to severe tendonitis in my elbows, so my interest in climbing waned. One of my cycling buddies was a keen climber too, so agree it's a common trait.
    I'll probably download and read Walsh's book after I've worked through my pile of Xmas books.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Not sure why anyone is that surprised by people here being into mountaineering. It's another middle class activity that requires a certain amount of disposable income. You can always rely on people here to offer advice on lots of subjects. Photography, gadgets, skiing, hifi etc etc.

Personally i spent a month trekking in the himalayas a couple of years ago. It was great but anything more technical/committing has never really appealed.

The Snow Leopard is a book many of you might enjoy. A bit more philosophical but very enjoyable. It's a staple in the bookshops of Kathmandu.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    higher than the eagle soars by stephen venables is a good read too.
  • ocdupalais
    Not sure why anyone is that surprised by people here being into mountaineering. It's another middle class activity that requires a certain amount of disposable income.

Mountaineering, maybe - but climbing, I'd say not.

There's a distinction here between the two.
    The whole point about climbing the gritstone and crags of the UK in the last century was that youths from the poorest of backgrounds could get out into the landscape with a minimum of equipment and try their hand at the ever growing number of routes; or even establish their own.
    Expedition mountaineering, whilst obviously occasionally giving us great stories of derring-do, historically has been the preserve of the wealthy and well sponsored. It's also what's given rise to the crass industry and ridulous levels of mess and waste around Everest Base Camp, where wave after wave of company execs paying £50k+ a time set out to have a crack at the summit.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    True but I'm not sure if it's still the case. Most people on the crags of Britain these days are fairly well heeled. Infact climbing seems to be a sport that has been taken over by university climbing club gear geeks. Not sure if there's many poorer kids in old boots and jeans on the crags these days.
  • ocdupalais
    True but I'm not sure if it's still the case. Most people on the crags of Britain these days are fairly well heeled. Infact climbing seems to be a sport that has been taken over by university climbing club gear geeks. Not sure if there's many poorer kids in old boots and jeans on the crags these days.

That's a sad state of affairs if true...

But let us not dwell on such worryingly social trends at a time like this: besides, some young council estate oik has won the Tour De Bleedin' France!

Cue 'Roll Out The Barrel' and Chas and Dave songs...
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    I'm about half way through the book (seven deadly sins) just finished the section where David is about to publish LA Confidentiel and a piece in the Times based on it. I think anyone interested in the topic will enjoy the read. I also bought Into the Silence, thanks Iain, which I'd like to be able to place on the shelf with my other climbing / mountain books when I'm done, but it's on my new Kindle, thanks santa.
    IMG_0474.jpg
    Johny
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    johny c wrote:
    I'm about half way through the book (seven deadly sins) just finished the section where David is about to publish LA Confidentiel and a piece in the Times based on it. I think anyone interested in the topic will enjoy the read. I also bought Into the Silence, thanks Iain, which I'd like to be able to place on the shelf with my other climbing / mountain books when I'm done, but it's on my new Kindle, thanks santa.

You might want to grab this if you have a kindle, while its on sale

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everest-1953-eb ... 801&sr=1-2

Also, not on sale, but worth the cash

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Cycling-Pro ... 876&sr=1-1
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    There is a good documentary on the Eiger on BBC4 from time to time, worth keeping an eye out on the listings.

Basically a history of attempts to climb the north face ending with a German climber (Ueli Steck) who doesn't really climb the mountain as such more like runs up it!
  • Garry H
    Th
    There is a good documentary on the Eiger on BBC4 from time to time, worth keeping an eye out on the listings.

Basically a history of attempts to climb the north face ending with a German climber (Ueli Steck) who doesn't really climb the mountain as such more like runs up it!

Swiss climber, Ueli Steck, on the Eiger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxqB9T3T004
  • Garry H wrote:
    Th

That is just crazy stuff!

What does 'free solos Deep Blue Sea' mean from the Eiger wiki:
    2008: 7 August: Dean Potter (USA) free-solos Deep Blue Sea (5.12+) on the face, then BASE jumps from the top using an ultralight rig he wore during the climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:
    Th

That is just crazy stuff!

What does 'free solos Deep Blue Sea' mean from the Eiger wiki:
    2008: 7 August: Dean Potter (USA) free-solos Deep Blue Sea (5.12+) on the face, then BASE jumps from the top using an ultralight rig he wore during the climb.

Free solo means he climbed alone, without protection, ie he wasn't roped up and using 'gear'. Deep Blue Sea isthe name of a route. 5.12+ is the grade of difficulty; as a mediocre climber, I'm just as likely towin ParisRoubaix as I would be to climb any part of that route. Dean Potter is an American climber.
  • Thanks. So he climbed this with his bare hands then base dived off?! Is it possible to base jump from that high up and how come he didn't get too cold?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Thanks. So he climbed this with his bare hands then base dived off?! Is it possible to base jump from that high up and how come he didn't get too cold?

Super fast typo correction there FF...LOL
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • If someone picked it up before I edited them I would have said it was intentional ; )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    Thanks. So he climbed this with his bare hands then base dived off?! Is it possible to base jump from that high up and how come he didn't get too cold?

It's not the fact that he did it with his "bare hands" that makes it extraordinary, it's the fact that he did it solo, ie he would have hit the deck had he missed a move. People have base jumped in much colder climes than that.
  • Isn't the idea of him climbing with a parachute that if he falls he can save himself? Either way, incredible!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H
    edited December 2012
    Isn't the idea of him climbing with a parachute that if he falls he can save himself? Either way, incredible!

Not really, it's just so that he can base jump down rather than take the traditional route of walking. He probably would have slammed into the rock face had he tried to engage a parachute on a lot of the route. The idea of having a parachute probably helped him mentally though. He's soloed other routes just as tricky, without a parachute.

Edit: if memory serves, he only climbed the last 200metres or so of the route, where all the most technically demanding moves are. He probably would have free falled without hitting any obstacles, as it's overhanging
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Nope, the idea is he doesn't fall off. The 'chute is purely about the descent.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited December 2012
    Got it thanks for the info.

I mention the parachute part as he mentions it in that context (saving him and being able to push himself harder) twice here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdbjp_xiLQ
    In the first minute and when he is going over the tightrope.

My favourite free climbing is this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-xKURGwpI
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Garry H wrote:
    Edit: if memory serves, he only climbed the last 200metres or so of the route, where all the most technically demanding moves are.

Ah this makes more sense to me.
    Contador is the Greatest