Rear Wheel Noise - Possibly Bearings ?

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited December 2012 in Workshop
I got my new road bike (BeOne Diablo Race 2012) in August, and have done a shade under 2000 miles now in pretty much any condition (although I do have Crud Racer mk2's fitted so it should be protected from the worst of it.

Recently I've noticed a slight metallic sound (almost like a "ping") every now and again when spinning the back wheel (upside down) whilst cleaning. A couple of days ago I was commuting to work and had to move from secondary position to hugging the gutter as a car was about to do a dodgy overtake on a blind hill ... went through a puddle and BANG! Massive pothole hidden which wasn't there on the previous day's commute (now reported). I thought for sure that I'd blown at least one tyre, and the force was that great I gave the frame and rims a quick check. Nothing.

On the cycle home last night I noticed that there was more noise coming from the back wheel, more of a grating noise, and when I got home I could feel a little side-to-side play in the wheel. With the wheel off the bike the rotation feels smooth but it can be wiggled a little - which I'm guessing isn't normal.

So, my question is ... is hitting the pothole so hard likely to have caused this e.g. fracturing a bearing or the cone ... bent something internal to the hub ?? Or could this just be a coincidence and it's just time to open the hub and clean/repack the bearings ?

Rims: Exal XR3
Hub: Shimano 5700

Anyone got any recommendations for replacement 10-speed compatible wheels, should this prove terminal. E.g. I've seen Shimano R501, Shimano RS10 and Mavic Aksiums so far ... I just cycle for fun, so not looking for anything too expensve atm. - £200 max.

Ta muchly, and Merry Christmas!

Steve

Comments

• Sounds like your hub need a service... chances are the cones need to be readjusted. You have cone/ball (angular type) bearings, so they will take a lot of abuse, but periodically they might need to be stripped, regreased and the cones adjusted. If unsure, ask the LBS to do it for you
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hmm, sounds strange, wouldn't think hitting a pothole would lead to any kind of adjustment being needed. Think you should check hub flange carefully for cracks, probably worth giving the frame more than a quick look too. If you do buy a new wheel I've used the cheapest ( maybe wh500 ) Shimano wheels and recommend them, you certainly don't need to spend 200 quid.
  • Frame is definitely fine, gave it a good clean and thorough check last night. Not got around to cleaning / checking the hubs or bearings yet - but i have got some bearings on order just in case thats all it is. if not i noticed a set of shimano r501s for about £80 online (new) which might be worth it anyway and would then have one set specifically for winter use.
  • The only way to be sure is to strip the hub...you could even have snapped an axle, not the QR but the axle itself, it does happen.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've only encountered a snapped axle once. That was a solid axle on the rear of a heavy old MTB; made the back wheel flop all over the place. I suppose with a QR skewer in place in a hollow axle it might be less obvious.