Bot War - you heard it here

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Is it me or is there a 'Bot war' happening all over the Internet and other forms of digital communication?

Not just this forum but others that I know to be pretty darn secure are now being infiltrated by Internet Bots.

Given that cold calling and callers is the pariah of marketing activity I would have hoped that we would have evolved past this. However, its worse than ever. Email, text message and now forums... there are Bots intelligent enough to get past CAPTCHA. Like traffic wardens, cold callers, recruitment consultants (hehehe) I want to get the guys who advocate and encourage the use of Bots and punch them square in the face!

Honestly, Bots are the ultimate trolls:

"That Bots are out there. They don't care if they are banned. They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until the Forum is dead!"
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sounds like something a bot would say to cheat a turing test.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Are the bots obsessed with children and racial heritage?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    My understanding is that they are driven by programming. Why?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I don't fully understand the breadth of what they do but if you go to the board index and scroll to the bottom you can see the users online, there are several bots listed. I assumed they collect information for search engines and the like?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    My understanding is that they are driven by programming. Why?

I'll get back under my bridge.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    According to my usual scans they are indeed so batten down the hatches, unplug all your ethernet cables, disable your wifi and 3g (or 4g if you are loaded) connections and place a bacofoil (other brands are available) hat on your head.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Never mind that, I've got a lovely kitchen for sale if anyone's interested
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    I don't fully understand the breadth of what they do but if you go to the board index and scroll to the bottom you can see the users online, there are several bots listed. I assumed they collect information for search engines and the like?
    I believe so. As a result the spammers post and it bumps them up the search engine listings. Probably an over-simplistic view. But I am overly simple.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Indeed, it has been said before that this is the greatest test the internet will face - once bots are as smart as the dumbest humans, nowhere will be safe. Voigt-Kampff test before posting maybe...
  • In the Bot War my money is on Jessica Ennis.
  • In the Bot War my money is on Jessica Ennis.

I haven't got much money but I'm willing to leave a deposit on your recommendation.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    The Rise of the Machines....
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    What is a bot???
  • DonDaddyD
    merkin wrote:
    What is a bot???
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Internet+Bot
    Food Chain number = 4