1k or under Hardcore(ish) hardtail (C2w scheme)

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Basically a mate is in the markt for a new bike on the c2W scheme. He'd consider full sus or HT but it's more likely going to be a good hardtail for 1k.

Orange crush kind of thing he wants. Currently rides 120 HT with slackish geo, 68 HT angle, wants 68 HT angle or slacker and about 140 travel. Orange Crush comes in a bit expensive for the scheme so anything similar?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What C2W scheme does he have access to, or is it the company's own?

Saracen Mantra Expert hits a lot of the right notes and is fairly well specced
    http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-expert
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    What C2W scheme does he have access to, or is it the company's own?

Saracen Mantra Expert hits a lot of the right notes and is fairly well specced
    http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-expert

This one

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

I suggested the Mantra Expert, as I did the other month to my brother who bought it (came with deore shifters rather than the ones specced too), it's a really good bike. We all ride together and he's had a blast on the Saracen, only thing he didn't like was the stiffness of the coil spring, wasn't getting anywhere near full travel and couldn't get desired sag with the preload.
  • The Rookie
    Is he below average weight?

Always an issue with coils of course, they are usually specced for the heavy end of average weight (for safety) and ideally a lighter rider needs a softer spring, where air's score (that and the ramping spring rate allowing you to run them a little softer at nominal sag), although springs aren't that expensive and are a 15 minute job to fit of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    Yeah, the Saracen was a large and too big for him anyway, may suggest ringing the shop and seeing if the medium comes with a softer spring?!
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    Could you ask the shop to change the spring? Dont know if it is something that shops stock, but they may be willing to change to a softer one for him in order to make the sale.
  • concorde
    It's worth an ask at least ain't it. Will suggest it. See if he'll be happy with 120 instead of 140 travel.
  • concorde
    Question still stands though, anything similar to a Crush out there?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    456?

Should be able to get one through cyclescheme
  • concorde
    That is one slack bike! Not sure he'll be too keen on the coil fork mind but will suggest.

cheers
  • The Rookie
    Your really not going to get 140mm of air at this price point.....
  • concorde
    May have got a way to. Sent an email yesterday, a shop will do the crush for a grand so can use the voucher, pay the extra as cash :-)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd take the 456 Sektor over the Crush any day. The Crush is expensive for what it is, the 456 cheap for what it is.
  • concorde
    EH_Rob wrote:
    I'd take the 456 Sektor over the Crush any day. The Crush is expensive for what it is, the 456 cheap for what it is.

I'll suggest both but he won't take a coil I don't think, not if it's not going to move much, be pretty pointless having the 140 in the first place?!
  • EH_Rob
    Think the springs are only £40, so its still cheaper than the Crush. Easy to swap too. Do you have a link for the Crush?
  • concorde
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Think the springs are only £40, so its still cheaper than the Crush. Easy to swap too. Do you have a link for the Crush?

That's true. How does the On One do going uphill? heard the crush is nice and light and can shift?

Here's the link to a spec of the Crush

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/crush/
  • EH_Rob
    It is rather a lot for the money. I'm sure he'd still enjoy it mind.

If he's dead set on air forks an option might be to get the 456, sell the Sektors and use the money (plus a bit you saved) to buy some revelations. Frame wise I'd much prefer the 456.
  • concorde
    EH_Rob wrote:
    It is rather a lot for the money. I'm sure he'd still enjoy it mind.

If he's dead set on air forks an option might be to get the 456, sell the Sektors and use the money (plus a bit you saved) to buy some revelations. Frame wise I'd much prefer the 456.

It's rather a lot for the money? Or do you mean it's too much for what it is?

If the On One could be upgraded to air Sektors on their site it'd be ideal for him! Surely that 456 can't climb though?