Converting 9 speed to 10?

spikeyjack
spikeyjack Posts: 59
edited December 2012 in MTB buying advice
Bit of advice really.

Looking to upgrade my tired and battered sram x9 running gear. It is currently a 3x9 speed setup on a 2009 stumpy far. Will i be able to fit the latest Shimano 10 speed products without any difficulties? Hubs are Hope Pro 2's if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Lee
Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 2009
Boardman Comp Road 2011

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes no problem....you'll need
    1/ Cassettte
    2/ Rear mech
    3/ Rear shifter
    4/ Chain
    as a minimum
    sometimes you'll find the front mech a bit critical on setup and may want to swap to a narrower cage 10speed, sometimes they work fine, sometimes they are very critical on setup.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for that. So my existing chain set should be fine to work with new 10 speed set up?
    Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 2009
    Boardman Comp Road 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, 10 speed chain needed. See pt 4.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nope, 10 speed chain needed. See pt 4.

Chain yes, chain set no.
    Thanks for that. So my existing chain set should be fine to work with new 10 speed set up?

Yes, fine.
  • cooldad
    Thank you - more coffee required. I am on holiday.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    What you doing on here? Surely this is for the work shy, not those actually not working.
  • The Rookie
    Yeah, get on yer bike......literaly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Sad and lonely obviously. Just come here for the abuse anyway.

Waiting to drop the youngster off at the airport. Then I'll be sadder and lonelier.

And what sort of idiot are you - a bike?. Get real.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Look CD if you can't enjoy your holiday, go back to work and give it to someone who can! (My last day at work until the 2nd....)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    In reality bud, you re better off finding a cheap groupset online somewhere any buying the whole lot rather than just trying to the individual buy bits. Try places like bike-discount.de or Merlin or similar.

I replaced mine with a whole new XT group for near 350 squids (I think - might have been euros), buying everything separately was close to 500!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • njee20