Wet Wood.

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
Is flipping slippy.

I mean SERIOUSLY slippy.

My diversion today took me over this bridge:

Attenborough_Nature_Reserve_Bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1099453.jpg

Really beautiful and fiendishly steep. Not one I would EVER recommend cyling over when wet. Even with the Marathon Plus tyres the back wheel was spinning when I cycled up it.

I kind of had one of those commutes today.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667
    Isn't there some sort of anti-slip coating on the right hand side of that photo? Wet wood with a film of algae might as well be sheet ice. I once surveyed a house with a north facing garden, containing a couple of ponds surrounded by decking so slick with algae that I had to virtually shuffle round on my knees to avoid falling in.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Marathon Pluses are not exactly renowned for their limpet-esque roadholding, try some Marathon Winter and admire the damage you leave behind!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Marathon Pluses are not exactly renowned for their limpet-esque roadholding, try some Marathon Winter and admire the damage you leave behind!

Got them! See the packaging thread :D

The plusses ain't half bad you know. I was a bit sideways in the worst of the wet mud but the handling was pretty predictable.

Now I just need to work out why my rear BB5 is sticking.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • There's a very short bridge right near my work - I've learned simply to roll across it having twice come off by losing the rear wheel completely under power. I did phone the council to report my accident but they've done FA to sort it. Very very slippery.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    There's a little wooden bridge I cross on my commute as well, and it's slippery as feck when wet. Rear spins and you *really* don't want to brake.
    No problems crossing it on the fixie though, controlling the speed with leg braking :D
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited December 2012
    rjsterry wrote:
    Isn't there some sort of anti-slip coating on the right hand side of that photo? Wet wood with a film of algae might as well be sheet ice. I once surveyed a house with a north facing garden, containing a couple of ponds surrounded by decking so slick with algae that I had to virtually shuffle round on my knees to avoid falling in.

I'll admit I didn't see that, but given that it was pitch black and while I did have the candle power of a small nuclear reactor strapped to the handlebars it was easy to miss when it was soaking wet.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • controlling the speed with leg breaking :D

FTFY :wink::wink::wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There are a couple of small wooden bridges that I've ridden over and the only anti-slip treatment used is several layers of chicken wire on the deck.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Is flipping slippy.

I mean SERIOUSLY slippy.

Really beautiful and fiendishly steep. Not one I would EVER recommend cyling over when wet. Even with the Marathon Plus tyres the back wheel was spinning when I cycled up it.

dude is that Sasquatch crossing the bridge in your photo??!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Gawd. There WERE some very big footprints in the mud last night. I put that down to people slipping but now you mention it. :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    redvee wrote:
    There are a couple of small wooden bridges that I've ridden over and the only anti-slip treatment used is several layers of chicken wire on the deck.
    One of the better methods - it's how they cover the wood in northshore trails.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Hagg Bridge at Wylam can be bad, a couple of years back me and mini INI mk1 both lost it there on a ride out to Hexham. You could give them a coat of chicken wire like some MTB north shore sections.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Is flipping slippy.

I mean SERIOUSLY slippy.

I know exactly where that is....isn't it kind of surfaced on one side?