Lightweight tubes?

stueys
stueys Posts: 1,332
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Browsing Wiggle the other day (which I do more than is wallet healthy..) I came across conti's light weight tubes. I know the weight difference isn't massive but considering I ride with 3 of them on my bike it seems like a decent bang of buck weight saving, especially as 2/3rds is rotational weight.

So, is there a reason not to run latex tubes? I get they lose air overnight but I check my pressure every ride anyway. Are they more prone to puncture or blow out?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    The latex tubes are alot lighter than butyl rubber but do seep air much quicker. On a 4-5 hr ride they may go soft. Also they cannot be repaired with a puncture repair kit in an emergency. Some places sell lightweight butyl tubes, with light valves. All the advantages of butyl, almost the weight of latex.
  • "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Interesting, thanks for that. So you can repair a butyl tube? The reviews suggest that people are getting more punctures with these, does that tally with people's experience?
  • Stueys wrote:
    Interesting, thanks for that. So you can repair a butyl tube? The reviews suggest that people are getting more punctures with these, does that tally with people's experience?

Most tubes are Butyl which is fine for a repair. I guess that lightweight means thinner material so theoretically more punctures. But reviews on how often a tube or tyre causes punctures is really subjective.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You get more out of latex tubes, than with light weight butyl tubes, in my experience.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Have a look at this article, suggests we should be using Latex tubes
    http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/12/h ... our-tyres/
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I used to use latex but found the difference in ride quality was so minimal that it wasn't worth the price over a lightweight butyl tube as well as the pain in the arse routine of having to pump them up for every ride. As far as patching punctures of the several brands purchased I found that a standard patch kit actually seemed to adhere even better than when used for my butyl tubes.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I tried these lightweight conti tubes....a few more punctures and even a pinch flat when replacing a tight tyre once,,been back with Conti race......There was no benefit to me at all with lighter tubes.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If the object penetrates the tyre it will get through a road tube well it does round here when the things puncturing are flints.

I have one supersonic explode one ride after about 50 miles (it failed along the seem) I have pinch flats over the lumps and bumps. Race tube only.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.