Endura Road Overshoes question

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
I bought a pair like these about 2 months ago;-

http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/282275/prod ... PriceComp1

I didnt realise they were made of a soft outer foam type material. After about 10 rides I noticed the foam has worn away from the inside of the overshoe's from rubbing against the crank revealing the inner orange coloured protective skin.
Considering there nr £20 a pair I think its abit crap tbh to be made of a foam outer skin considering nearly everyone's shoe will rub against the crank arm when riding. You can scratch it off with a finger nail.
Is there any overshoes wind/rain proof that are made of a tougher material teflon or summut ?.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Too late now, but I find a bit of duct tape over rub areas works well.
    More problems but still living....
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    amaferanga wrote:
    Too late now, but I find a bit of duct tape over rub areas works well.
    Me too. Some Duck Tape applied to wear areas has kept mine going into their 5th winter and is hardly noticable.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    They are very easy to damage unfortunately. Within a few rides I'd ripped through one side after a minor 'off' and the other side was wearing through with my shoe fastener rubbing. I used a good old fashioned punter repair kit which worked a treat!

I've since replaced them with Gores though as I didn't find them warm enough.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes mine went like that too - I got fed up of the duck tape look after a winter or two and went for the Planet X overshoes. They're like the inside of a wetsuit - rather than the shiny outside that does abrade quickly. I think they're as good and cheaper.
  • ..I'm on my third pair of these and never had that problem. The zips have fallen off ( one pair after 2 weeks - sent them back) and the sole distintigrates, but I like them and can usually get at least 2 winters out them, which, at £20 a pop, I think is fair enough. I've recently tried BBB and Planet X and just found them cold with very little water resistance. The BBB's also snaggged on the cleat (they went back too...).
    ..Endura also do a glitzy shiny silver finish which I've got now and they do seem a bit more robust than the black ones..
  • Well I got some strong rubber so i think I'll poxy resin some over the rub bits , thanks for the advise.